Featured Old jack - any info?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Rayo56, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I remember my Dad used this to level our cottage many moons ago before it was wiped out by the Vermilion River flood of 1969. (http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/swio/pages/content/1969_flood.htm)
    He always told me to make sure I get it out of his shed. Well sadly he passed on June 28th and I finally brought it home. Don't know much about it but made with heavy cast iron parts. Any info would be appreciated. Looks like this would be in @springfld.arsenal knowledge area. 17" tall but extends to 27" tall.
    I think my dad used to call it a "Railroad Jack" ? 000_9872.jpg 000_9873.jpg 000_9874.jpg 000_9876.jpg 000_9879.jpg 000_9883.jpg 000_9885.jpg 000_9886.jpg 000_9888.jpg

judy, i need help and komokwa like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

You have the makers name, model number, and lift capacity right on the jack. You can look up the company name on google to get some history of the company itself, and also to see some sold/not sold jacks from others. Patent number lookup might help give an earliest time it could have been made.

Its a standard jack. It lifts heavy things.

judy likes this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Rayo56 likes this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'm reading about it - yes it's a jack. :)
    Wondering if though, what foundry logo that is in the 6th picture and if all the parts were cast at the same foundry - or is it impossible to tell? Some parts were numbered with sprig letters on the patterns and others were numbered using embossed metal tape.
    Closest date I can find it when it was assembled is 1954 - but they all look pretty much the same

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Did you look at the catalog page I linked? Dated 1939. They list a model 516. Not sure how long they produced them for.

You'd need to email duff-norton and see if they have a historian for specific part manufacturing details I would imagine. Though you might be able to find that M marking with some digging.

judy and Rayo56 like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

They started making the 516 early then I think everytime they updated it a Letter was added after the 516. I'm pretty sure that the 516M's were made in early 50's. Still searching info. If that's the case then I wonder if my Dad bought it new as I was born 1959 and I remember being at the cottage at age 5 or 6

7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Was expecting to see this...

[​IMG]

SBSVC, i need help and Rayo56 like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm sorry for your loss....:(:(

No one can say your Dad didn't know ' Jack ' !! :):)

Nice jack !!!

i need help and Rayo56 like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Thanks. 94
    No, of course mine doesn't have as much value but sure does look better! :cigar:

i need help, komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I found a better looking old jack.

[​IMG]

i need help and komokwa like this.
  11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The 3 names I see most often for these:

Toe Jack
    Ratchet Jack
    Railroad Jack

Rayo56 likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Rayo56, So sorry for your loss.....Blessings,
    Sue

Rayo56 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted