Featured Old? Japanese Porcelain Lidded Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Feb 3, 2019.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I couldn't pass up this wonderful hand painted Japanese (I think!) lidded bowl at a local auction. It was only $5.00! It has wire handles and a simple metal pull for the lid. Any idea when this was made? Can ya help with the translation? Measures about 7 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches deep. Thanks!

ajapan1.jpg ajapan5.jpg ajapan7.jpg ajapan8.jpg ajapan3.jpg ajapan2.jpg ajapan6.jpg

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very Pretty.
    I think it may be part of a stacking set.
    Maybe food storage.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. It is the top of a Chinese tiffin-like food carrier (not Japanese).
    Like these:

[​IMG]
    https://www.malaymail.com/news/life...fabulous-exhibition-at-seven-terraces/1649930

My guess is late Qing-early Republic.
    In Malay this type is called tingkat, different from the metal tiffin. I don't know the Chinese name.
    Maybe @Silver Wolf or @JayBee can help us with this translation as well.:)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  4. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the info :)

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Called jubako bento in Japan.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted