Featured Old Jewelry Help - Purple Glass? Origin? Dating?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Nov 28, 2018.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Good morning. I hope you can help with this bracelet. I think it has purple glass "stones." The filigree work is fragile and has a small break. I think it was passed down in the family and may have a European origin. Looks like the round latch has been replaced. Thanks for your thoughts on this. Patd

Frt 1.jpg Bck 1.jpg Prt Frt 1.jpg Bck Clos 1.jpg Loop 2.jpg Loop 1.jpg

Jivvy, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Brass & glass, maybe Czech? Very pretty & yes, clasp is a replacement. Decoration looks sort of transitional art nouveau - art deco.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Czech/Bohemian between the wars art glass set in brass filigree. Very typical of its type and time. Get a Sunshine cloth on the metal gently, it will come up well. Probably had a hook clasp.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very elegant ....!

kyratango likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice piece! I was going to say Czech too, with a replacement clasp. Those often went astray or broke, so it's no surprise.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  7. patd8643

Thank you all for your help. My sunshine clothe will be busy. To give you some background, my great grandfather escaped political pogroms in Hungary in the late 1800s after escaping previous ones in parts of Germany. Supposedly everyone in his family donated something for him to take with him, to sell in the US and raise money to start a business. In fact, on reaching the port of Baltimore, he did exactly that. He started a store in Hagerstown, MD, married a local woman who was very involved in the business, too. This is where I think this bracelet came from. I don't know for sure but 'think' this may have been the origins of the bracelet.
    Patd

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I believe my grandfather's family also first settled in Baltimore.
    They left Romania to escape persecution.

Thanks for sharing your story. Did you ever see the movie Avalon? It might be of interest to you.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. patd8643

Thanks Pearls. I'll have to look for the movie.
    Patd

Draft saved Draft deleted