Featured OLD LOOKING ELEPHANT PLANT STAND/GARDEN STOOL - NOT PORCELAIN OR CONCRETE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 30, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I got this today at a friend's 2nd hand furniture store (he found it in a storage auction he won). I thought it looked old & unusual compared to other elephant stands/garden stools I've come across. But it isn't made of porcelain & definitely is too light for concrete - any idea what it's made of? (it holds my weight when I sit on it)
    Age? (You can see where the tusks have broken off; if they were there maybe I could tell what it's made of)
    It measures 22" tall & - to me - is extremely detailed
    Any thoughts on it / info about it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 1AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 2AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 3AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 4AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 5AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 6AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 5AAA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 7AA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 6AAA.JPG ART STATUE ELEPHANT GARDEN STOOL PLANT STAND 1A_aA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

2nd from last photo - it looks almost like drywall or something where paint loss is?

TraceyB and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Yep plaster it appears. Millions of these stands out there!

5. journeymagazine

So plant stand not garden stool?
    Thanks!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Painted plaster's what I too was thinking.......

TraceyB likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Plaster would be pretty heavy as well. If relatively light, could be fiberglass. Think the tusks were probably a different material

kentworld and TraceyB like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I like your doggie :)

Potteryplease and TraceyB like this.
  9. journeymagazine

sparkle - the most spoiled dog ever!

TraceyB and bercrystal like this.
  10. Sarah Goyette

Sarah Goyette New Member

I have an identical one in severe disrepair. I think its plaster of Paris.

TraceyB likes this.
  11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Impossible. The 2 most spoiled dogs in the world live at my house!! ;) :playful::playful: :p:D

The one on the right in my avatar is now totally blind & if he is on the couch, which is most of the time :rolleyes::rolleyes:, & I am handing out goodies while I am making something for myself it is just easier to take it to him. I am convinced he thinks that goodies just somehow fall from the sky & land right in front of his nose. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Potteryplease and judy like this.
  12. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

I like your doggie too. :happy:

13. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Your pooches are gorgeous too. :rolleyes:

bercrystal likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

When I pull out the treat bag my other 2 are dancing at my feet; but sparkle will lay on the bed or couch depending where she is and just slightly lift her head while she waits for me to bring her hers!

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

She obviously thinks of herself as the queen. ;) :playful::playful: :hilarious:

I take him stuff because it is just so much easier than waiting on him to get off the couch & find his way into the kitchen bumping into stuff on the way & making at least 3 wrong turns. :p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. pixieforpapa

pixieforpapa Member

Could be ceramic but is most likely CHALKWARE and made in the 1970s.

17. Bryson Voth

Bryson Voth New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] I have the same elephant. I got it a our company Christmas party last year where we do a white elephant gift exchange. It is tradition that the elephant shows up every year and is passed along. It was getting in such bad shape so I decided to fix it up and repaint it.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]Mine did not have the tusks either.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    bercrystal likes this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, all the rage in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Most came from Italy and were ceramic.

Debora

19. journeymagazine

When I ask my 2 (Sparkle & Keep on Truckin - named because he had a white spot on his chest as a puppy that looked like the shoe taking a step on the old 'keep on truckin' t shirts - are brother and sister but sparkle is the spoiled one - when asked if they want a bone (rawhide & chicken chew), sparkle doesn't come running like Truckin - instead she runs for couch and waits to be served. Meanwhile Truckin has to go in bedroom & jump on bed to eat it (God forbid they should lay on hard tile floor).
    I can call, cajole or threaten sparkle to come get it but she won't budge because Truckin would immediately take the couch!

20. journeymagazine

1st pic - Truckin sprawled out after eating
    2nd pic - Sparkle tried to lay on new bed but it was too small - so she whined & cried & gave her shrill(!) bark she uses when she wants something until I folded another bed and put it under her head - she then went to sleep!
    3rd pic - the pair asleep together; sparkle is like me & can sleep through anything, but if it's too bright or tv too loud truckin covers his face like he's praying for me to turn it off or lower the volume - and when I see him like this I usually do turn it down or if on the light off! lol

DOG TRUCKIN SLEEPING COMFORTABLY 1AA RESIZE.jpg DOG SPARKLE BED IN BATHROOM 1AA RESIZE.jpg DOGS TRUCKIN & SPARKLE SLEEPING 1AA RESIZE.JPG

BoudiccaJones and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted