old mining miners safety poster printing block?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cartoongirl, Jun 7, 2014.

1. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0274.JPG
    Hi! old time lurker from the ebay ab and pottery glass boards.

Found this miner's safety poster printing block today. Measures 20 1/3" by 15 3/4".

Says...
    An Accident Without injury is still an accident..
    It is the result of an unsafe act that could bring pain and grief.

Is it called a printing block? Any idea of age? Any special key words i should use?

Thank you.

2. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

It's been a really long time, but this looks like a printer's metal (lead, tin, antimony) poured full size ad from ca. 1950s. The castings were poured in the print shop or newspaper office in an upright position if I remember this correctly -- kind of like tin soldiers, using a cardboard mat supplied by ad agencies et al. Most of the wood blocks under the casting were hard, like maple and they were "type high" to match the surrounding borders and type.

3. cartoongirl

Hi! a printer's metal...eh? great! super! Thank you for the information! Now I can start researching it...I had no idea where to start. I know that mining stuff can be very collectible.

4. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Oops, I see a word is missing ... so sorry! It's a printer's block, printing block.

antidiem likes this.
  5. milestoneks

milestoneks Active Member

Yes, printer's block, earlier ones of zinc, later ones of lead. I can't tell which yours is. Lead being much softer than zinc. And 'type high' as stated which is about 7/8" high. Routed out to keep the ink from transferring.

6. cartoongirl

Oops! Sorry I didn't get back sooner...I thought I was set up for email updates

@ birgittaw..yes, it's a printer's block, and thanks for the information on dating it...the back is indeed hardwoods.

@milestoneks...I thought it was zinc, but it is very heavy, so it may be lead, or the printer's metal compound birgittaw stated eariler.

I really enjoy research, and thank you for help. I'm not an expert, but now I know a little about old printer's blocks.

Draft saved Draft deleted