Old Oak Plant Stands/End Tables: Early 20th Century?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by PeteToday, Mar 31, 2020.

1. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

IMG_1305.jpg IMG_1307.jpeg IMG_1308.jpeg Can anyone help identify the style, maker, designer, country of origin, age--anything, really--for this mysterious pair of old oak plant stands? They have very interesting shaped legs; nothing I've ever seen before. Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    kyratango and komokwa like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome, Pete!:)
    It is still time to edit your post to show your images full size:
    Edit, more option, post all as full image;):cyclops:

komokwa and PeteToday like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a pair is always nice !!!

PeteToday and kyratango like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I think you nailed it. Early 20thC old oak plant stands!;)

Darkwing Manor and PeteToday like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    I see them later. post WWII, scandinavian. construction is too simple to be around 1900.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is hard to say beyond 20th century, say up to the 50s. Could see how these could be a wood shop project from most any time. Would like to see how the legs join the top.

7. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

"Could see how these could be a wood shop project"

Yes, I get the feeling they're homemade, or maybe made by a small independent shop. There are areas of roughness that I don't think are from wear and tear. They don't have the polish I'd expect from a major furniture maker's production facility. Still show strong woodshop skills though. Good question about the joints. Here they are. Don't know what to make of the staples. The last photo shows a leg traversing the middle shelf.

: Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 1.14.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 1.13.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 1.12.19 PM.png

kyratango likes this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Good job getting the photos full-size; that's always helpful!

kyratango and PeteToday like this.
  9. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Thanks, got good coaching from kyratango! (newbie here)

kyratango likes this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Agree with Fid; 1940s-50s.

11. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Based on someone suggesting the design is French-influenced, I'm currently guessing that the maker was going for a cabriole leg...

From wiki: "A cabriole leg is one of (usually) four vertical supports of a piece of furniture shaped in two curves; the upper arc is convex, while lower is concave; the upper curve always bows outward, while the lower curve bows inward...."

That, combined with the condition of the piece, is making me think early 20th century, before Modernism took hold.

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 10.12.36 PM.png

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. those are not cabriole legs.
    looks as if it could be easily assembled and sent to buyer in a flat parcel.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

I believe the maker was going for that general look. They resemble these, from a Napolean III (ca. 1850) planter. Yes, the slatted insertion points do suggest DIY assembly. Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 12.36.39 PM.png

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the more I look at it the more I think it's out of a catalogue for mail order items.
    four legs, two rounds, a bit of glue, a few nails. assembly time not more than 5 minutes. when you have a soft mallet even faster.

15. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

I could see that, yes. Those slots especially: hard to imagine a professional furniture-maker using attachments like that.

Someone suggested I check old Sears & Roebuck catalogs.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  16. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Interesting comparison: I just found this old oak plant stand, which the seller is dating to "early 1900s"--look how much more polished the woodwork is, especially the joinery. No "assembly required" I'm guessing.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 3.02.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 3.02.41 PM.png

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the cut surfaces look too clean for me for "early 1900s".

18. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

For me, the totality of the piece--the lines, the style, the patina, the grain, etc.--say "sometime pre-midcentury."

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

1949.;)

20. PeteToday

PeteToday New Member

Oh well, we're just going to have to disagree on the possibility of either table being "midcentury."

Draft saved Draft deleted