OLD OR REALLY OLD SNAKE? BIRD? HANDLE CLAY POT? BLACK SPLOTCHES?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 15, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store today & bought it for $10.
    I think it's old by the shape of the jar's mouth's rim, but I'm not sure how to tell?
    Also, it has dark/black splotches in the clay? mixture - what caused that? Age?
    Finally, what are the handles suppose to be? Snakes? Birds?
    I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY POTTERY SNAKE HANDLE POT FROM BENS STORE 1AA_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY POTTERY SNAKE HANDLE POT FROM BENS STORE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY POTTERY SNAKE HANDLE POT FROM BENS STORE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY POTTERY SNAKE HANDLE POT FROM BENS STORE 3AA.jpg

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Mexican, made in the style of pre-Columbian pottery. These are called replicas, although many are not copies of specific pre-Columbian artifacts. The animal heads look like birds to me, the style is vaguely reminiscent of Colima.
    That reddish, blotchy look is the clay itself. It could be from Oaxaca, but @April07 will know more.
    These used to be dirt cheap, but if you check ebay you will see some nice prices, so you will make a profit.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  3. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I think it is a replica of a pre-Hispanic pottery made to look older. I also thought of Colima first but also it can be related to the Valley of Mexico.
    This's a small catalogue of antique ceramics with good photos - you can note that old clay looks different and I don't find any similar black spots on any of the examples http://excerpts.numilog.com/books/9789689342106.pdf

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted