Featured Old Oval Tilt-Top Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Thrifster, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

This is an old oval tilt-top table I purchased at the ts a few months ago. It has claw feet legs and inlay on the top. I know it has condition issue but I liked it so I bought it anyways.

I've searched aroung for the same one but all I found was similar tables. Does anyone know when this table would have been made and who and where is may have been made? Thanks for all the replies in advance.

HPIM1566.JPG
    HPIM1567.JPG
    HPIM1568.JPG
    HPIM1569.JPG
    HPIM1571.JPG
    HPIM1575.JPG
    HPIM1579.JPG
    HPIM1581.JPG
    HPIM1583.JPG
    HPIM1584.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Some of the more knowledgeable furniture people are busy today, but somebody should be along soon...

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I say 1920-40 mahogany. It reminds me of a inlaid tilt-top we have by Paine Furniture (same era). Nice piece , with it's inlay. Cleaned and oiled, it would be nice. You bought it for one of the best reasons to buy anything old . . because you like it, as stated.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was looking at this last night and thinking 1940s as well. Sort of a mix of styles.
    Agree, cleaned up it will be very nice.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Thrifster! Looks like it's been around the block once or twice, but it certainly looks like it can be restored, even with what looks like some inlay loss..... as Figtree said, a busy day for some members, but am tagging some other members too! Happy you want to save it.....I love tilt-tops too!!!! @James Conrad, @Ghopper1924

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees on mid 20th century, a Federal revival tilt top candle stand.

7. Thrifster

Thanks everyone for the replies and the helpful information. It sure places the proper time period it was made for me.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Interesting James. The candle stands we have had seem to have been smaller and have pie crust tops (so the candle does not slip off.)

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  9. James Conrad

Well, it is a revival piece with lots of design liberties taken so there is that but, thing is there are only a couple choices here, candle stand or tea table with 3 leg tables. Doesn't give dimensions but looks to small for tea.
    In england they had more names/uses for 3 leg tables, supper, dessert, etc but not here, poster doesn't say where he is so assumes usa.
    " table I purchased at the ts"........ I have no clue where that is:p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Figtree3 and judy like this.
  10. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Maybe thrift store?

lloyd249 and James Conrad like this.
  11. Thrifster

The dimensions of the table are 27" height x 14 1/2" width x 23" length. Yes, ts = thrift store, location USA.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. James Conrad

Good Guess! I have no idea but that sounds right to me.
    Guessed Federal revival based on inlay on top & pic of table leg bottom clearly showed it wasn't a period piece.
    Candlestands had their last hurrah during our Federal period (1790-1830), by 1840s they went extinct in america as oil lamps replaced candles for lighting & 3 leg tables which are notoriously unstable were replaced by 4 leg "light stands", now called "work stands".

Ghopper1924, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

James Conrad likes this.
  14. James Conrad

Yep, that is very similar form & it is common to have 2 or more styles in the same revival piece.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  15. James Conrad

The way to tell a period candlestand is, the legs will always be dovetailed into the center column and often ( at least those that survive) there will be an iron brace holding the dovetailed legs in place.

035_6_resize.jpg

16. James Conrad

Couple more pics i found from old threads on here that show this construction detail better
    CT_Candle_Bottom.jpg
    IMG_0910_l.JPG

17. clutteredcloset49

Also Thrifster's has nice flathead screws
    upload_2019-11-3_9-9-58.png
    As opposed to what? handmade nails?
    upload_2019-11-3_9-10-42.png

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  18. James Conrad

You are talking about how the top was attached?
    If so, usually handmade screws cut with a file or wood pins.
    The iron brace holding dovetailed legs, attached with hand wrought iron nails almost always.
    The legs are very fragile, not much wood to hold them into column, that nailed on iron brace helped a lot but was far from saving a leg from a hard bump, the dovetailed leg simply snapped off at the column.

Another feature of most tilt top period candle stands, many have scorch marks on bottom of tabletop because, houses were drafty back then so it was common to put the candle on top of the " birdcage block" & use the tilted top as a draft stop so the candle wouldn't flicker. Net result? bottom of top should /would have burn/scorch marks. :cigar:

19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Love the info, James, and agree on the Federal revival style, fitting in with the Phyfe-ey mid-20th century mahogany thing so common in the 40s. With a little work this tilt-top could easily last another century, although at present the value is minimal.

20. James Conrad

Thought i would post this table as i saw it this morning, it's a period candlestand (tea table), Philadelphia, C 1780 in walnut
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/78346765_pennsylvania-chippendale-walnut-candlestand-1780
    Condition was updated here
    "Pennsylvania Chippendale walnut tea table circa 1780, with birdcage support, turned shaft, and ball and claw feet, 28"h x 32 3/4"dia CONDITION: three-board top, appears to have original lock and catch, there are scratches and dents as expected with age, nicely carved feet, old but not original surface"
    img.jpg
    img (1).jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted