Old Painting On Board Of Knight On Horse

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Dec 2, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

SAM_3197.JPG SAM_3198.JPG SAM_3197.JPG SAM_3199.JPG SAM_3199.JPG I bought this painting about 18 SAM_3195.JPG SAM_3196.JPG years ago from an old yard sale that had many antiques, heavy painting on board of an England knight with England lion and horse in full gear, really a beautiful SAM_3200.JPG SAM_3201.JPG SAM_3200.JPG painting,the name I can't make out,I would love to know some information anybody have any input.

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think one search term you need is 'impasto'.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, appears to be a decorative painting from the 1960s or 1970s with a Spanish motif and frame. Other opinions may differ.

Debora

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Signature looks like DeVey to me, but using it to search was not productive.

5. antiquelover69

I tried the same name but nothing,it's a beautiful painting.It look like the painting can come of the board.Bronwen it does look like an impasto

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Agree with Debora. Sig could be DeVer.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's older than the 1960s either, but it's cool.

8. antiquelover69

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I also read DeVey. A very powerful painting, antiquelover.

The lion is not English, this one is 'rampant', standing on it's hind legs, the English ones are 'passant', walking:

[​IMG]

It is one of the countless other European lions, but which one?

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. the lion is not English. the form of the tail hints towards Flanders or Belgium.

antiquelover69 and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

That "screams" 1972, like the painting of the matador my Grandma and Aunt had in their huge double wide mobile home .

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Belgian lions (including Flemish) are all based on the Brabant lion which has a tail with a turned tip. Depending on the period it is turned inward or outward, but a curl like this one does not ring a bell.
    I don't know of a gold lion on a red ground in these parts, but many towns and villages have variations of the Brabant lion in their coat of arms as well, so who knows.

antiquelover69 likes this.
  13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think this is a fantasy piece (early seventies seems spot on to me), but there are some possible inspirations to be found by googling: gules, a lion rampant or

i need help likes this.
  14. antiquelover69

Thanks everyone!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted