Old photograph portret off woman from ?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by gerspee, Jan 3, 2021.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Any ideas about this woman on this old Clipboard01 (Klein).jpg 134929792_3609902702464270_3562010625289447173_o (Klein).jpg 135536387_3609905949130612_3405975571394346069_o (Klein).jpg photograph like from where and when made maybe ? Thanks

elarnia likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The back is lined with newsprint. What language is the newsprint in and does any of its content provide a clue as to date?

Debora

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Oh boy! THAT was my first thought too!!! Break out the magnifiers!! From the clothing and high cheek bones I might lean towards NA????

Vintage Maven likes this.
  4. gerspee

The language looks like French to me so or France or maybe Canada ?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why don't you post some good quality close-ups for us and we can help you identify. Be sure to include lots of proper nouns and anything that appears topical such as dates.

Debora

6. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

If I may offer some direction on your portrait. At first glance from your photos provided, it has the appearance of a gum bichromate print that was in common use around the late 1800’s to early 1900’s. They often resembled a charcoal drawing or watercolour, and usually the photos were of not much detail. The photographer could manipulate this during the process of development. I hope my thoughts may be of some help. ❤️Maven

Figtree3, 2manybooks and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you, Maven. I agree with your dating.

Debora

8. Vintage Maven

❤️

9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

She has the severe look of some Finns that I've seen; or perhaps Germanic?
    Leslie

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Or perhaps a solar enlargement on a bromide paper. These also became common in the late 19th - early 20th centuries, and were most often retouched or completely reworked by an artist on staff at the studio, giving them more the appearance of a drawing.

11. Vintage Maven

I would most certainly include that in dating the photo, that had crossed my mind as well. Very good call @2manybooks ❤️Maven

*I believe they even used that process sometimes into the early 1930’s because it was a very economical way to transfer & enlarge a photo...if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or Belgium?;)
    The woman may not be from a Francophone region though.

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Could it be Curly from the stooges?

Fid, janettekay and Vintage Maven like this.
  14. gerspee

I am able to see more and closer when it's coming in this coming week . Just bought it online from a private seller and it will be posted tomorrow . Maybe there's even a name under the leather frame on the picture ? And be able to see what kind off photo it is

15. Vintage Maven

@gerspee I hope by then the answers will come to “light” lol ❤️Maven

16. gerspee

But if the lining around the picture is leather like the seller told me it is and the fashion (the striping on the dress ) . Could give maybe a area where this was the way to frame a photo behind leather and the fashion could give the second link maybe ?

17. Any Jewelry

The appliqué on the dress or blouse looks kind of folk, but it isn't a folk style I know. Folk influences were also popular in fashion at various stages of fashion history. For instance in the late 19th-early 20th history.

18. gerspee

And it came and the lining around the picture is a paper lining so no leather as was told . Still nice but would like the area to know where this woman was maybe put on the photograph . So still need your input

19. Any Jewelry

You may never know. It is impossible to tell from her dress or blouse, her facial features, or hairdo.
    She looks like a regular woman from a European town, no rural costume, no bonnet or hat. She is not a woman of means, her clothing is plain, with no jewellery at all, and no fancy hairstyle.
    The lack of jewellery is also a sign that she is not wearing a local or regional costume (streekdracht). There is nothing at all to show her origin, beyond European.

If you want her to be an immigrant into Canada, fine, an immigrant she is.:D But if you bought her on this side of the pond, she is likely to be European.
    I wouldn't know what more to add, she doesn't give us much to go by.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've cut and pasted my previous post:

"The back is lined with newsprint. What language is the newsprint in and does any of its content provide a clue as to date?"

Debora

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted