Old pin, Ada N. Jones Grand Chief, who, what, where? etc

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by tyeldom3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I've had this sitting in my desk for years, never have asked about her. I assume this was some type of pin or medal, I can see on the back where there was gold & red material, but it's cut off. It's about 1 3/4" diameter.
    Anyway, I can't find anything at all about Ada N. Jones, nor can find out what Grand Chief is.
    Any ideas? Thanks for your time.:)
    11.jpg 12.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I searched "Ada N. Jones" "Grand Chief" and got a couple of hits from a pay newspapers site. The newspaper was from Portsmouth, New Hampshire from 1942. The snippet that is showing for one of the articles says, "Mrs. Wakefield is the first member of Hope Temple of East Rochester to be honored by being named to the position of Grand Chief since Mrs. Ada N. Jones, .."

The other one mentions an Ada N. Jones being from East Rochester, which is in New Hampshire.
    Here is the Find A Grave entry for her. I assume it is the same Ada N. Jones:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...Sst=32&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=96552906&df=all&
    ]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    KingofThings, wenna, tyeldom3 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good finds, Fig!

I was just coming back to say that this might be related to the Pythian Sisters, who, like the Knights of Pythias, use Grand Chief as the title for the highest ranking officer in the local Temple.

5. tyeldom3

KingofThings likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

Great Figtree, thank you, that's very helpful!:)

I knew she wasn't famous or anything when I found this years ago, but I was curious every time I looked at her.

Figtree3, KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  7. tyeldom3

Thanks so much Bakers! I had found something about that too in my searches but wasn't sure.:)

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted