Featured Old porcelain plates. From what country?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Sep 25, 2020.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Hello!
    First , I'll show you why I got them ...
    P1160374(1)(1).jpg

my first stapled piece! :happy: I only picked up four out of the available 12 or so. Didn't want the one stapled piece to be lonely;) ... plus the ones I left behind had almost all of their gold dots and trim worn off.

Now to figure out where they were made and how old they might be.

They are, I guess, salad or dessert plates ... about 8½" (21.5 cm) in diameter.
    P1160369(1)(1).jpg
    close up of design
    P1160370(1)(1).jpg

Pics of backs showing imperfections in glaze
    P1160371(1)(1).jpg P1160372(1)(1).jpg P1160373(1)(1).jpg

Thanks for looking and for any info you can provide.

edited to add: I forgot to mention that the only other example I was able to find with nearly the same "dot design" was from Wales, but it also had beautiful flowers painted where these are very plain.

I'll see if I can locate the link to the flowered one again. Didn't bookmark it, of course :rolleyes:

2. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

what nice elegant plates. I guess I couldn't hold back and bought all 12, but that's me :)
    if I look at the decor I would date it at the end of the 19th early 20th century, but the foot rim and the baking errors tell me that they are a lot older than I think. maybe 18th century, porcelain paris, or a german or even an english manufacturer.

:(:p:p

charlie cheswick and quirkygirl like this.
  3. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

4. quirkygirl

Thanks, Rec! :)
    That's the word (Nantgarw), that came up when I searched last night ... but did I think to jot it down??? Noooooooo :rolleyes: Could I remember it??? Nooooooo :rolleyes: Do I think I could pronounce it???? Absolutely Nooooooooo.

How do you pronounce that?

Nice examples you found :) Nice prices, too.

Using Nantgarw as a search term, I was once again able to find the plate I saw last night (from Pinterest ... copied from a site that times out before it loads on my computer nantgarwandswanseaporcelain.co.uk)
    [​IMG]

also found this photo
    [​IMG]
    from here https://jacharitabletrust.com/nantgarw-porcelain/

Wonder why I can't find any examples without the floral center design?

anundverkaufen and bercrystal like this.
  5. quirkygirl

The others had almost no gold details left on them at all .... but maybe I should go back and pick up one of the two sugar bowls they had ... maybe both.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

HOO! RUN!

Nantagrw is hen's teeth rare. Grab them. There's a wonderful museum project, who are remaking designs, I'd contact them. http://nantgarwchinaworksmuseum.co.uk/

"Nant-garr-wu" sort of.

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Maybe all ;) I would

quirkygirl likes this.
  8. quirkygirl

:hilarious: Thank you! :)

OK. I'm going. I'll show them tonight (if they're still there for me to get)

9. quirkygirl

You all aren't suggesting that I should even get the plates where the gold is all but a memory are you??? Sure. they're only 50 cents ea. ... but the condition!?!!

judy likes this.
  10. charlie cheswick

For 50c definitely !!!!

Fid, judy and quirkygirl like this.
  11. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE] Wonder why I can't find any examples without the floral center design?[/QUOTE]
    ......Having already been lucratively engaged to supply undecorated pieces for subsequent decoration and re-sale by several of the foremost London-based producers, Billingsley and Walker were then approached by John Rose of the Coalport works – who proposed a more complete and effective solution to what he perceived as the threat from an upstart competitor by offering a sufficiently attractive package to secure the exclusive services of the sought-after craftsmen..... source:
    https://scottishantiques.com/Swansea-Nantgarw-porcelain

judy, quirkygirl and charlie cheswick like this.
  12. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

definitefly

quirkygirl likes this.
  13. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Nantgarw such a rare factory. I've not found any in thirty plus years.

14. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

I would like to have one for that price

quirkygirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. charlie cheswick

You could sell them in 3 lots that way

So anyone not able to afford the better ones, might still be interested in the worn ones

quirkygirl likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

FIFTY CENTS? Get down there NOW.

17. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

Oh, those are really pretty! And I love that every time I log on here I learn something different.

Now I'm dying to know if you snagged the lot, quirkygirl!

18. quirkygirl

First ... don't scold. I left three ugly ones back at the store. Really, they're terrible. but as I didn't wait for all but the first reply before heading out, I think maybe I'm underestimating just how special these are. The thrift is close by and picking up the last three will be a good excuse to drop by again.

Here's the quick photos (I'm antsy to go pour out the contents of the three jewelry jars I bought somewhere else ... and I think I see ivory and silver tucked way in the middle)

The sugar bowls (I think that's what they are) are huge 7" by 4" (18 by 10 cm)
    I know they were larger way back when ... but, wow ... they're like little personal soup tureens.

P1160375(1).JPG P1160376(1).JPG

Gotta go dig through some jewels now ..... :happy:

19. charlie cheswick

So when you said sugar bowls you meant soupa sugar bowls :jawdrop:

Congrats !! :)

judy, quirkygirl and SBSVC like this.
  20. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

I think they are charming!

judy and quirkygirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted