Old Portrait Picture

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Thrifster, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

This is an old portrait picture I purchased at the TS and was wondering how old it might be or anything else about it.

The visible part of the portrait measures about 10" in height and about 6 3/4" in width and the glass has bubbles in it. Does anyone know how old it might be, origin or anything else about it? Thanks in advance for all answers.

HPIM6819.JPG
    HPIM6822.JPG HPIM6821.JPG

HPIM6825.JPG

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She's Victorian, of course, but such an interesting collar. Wonder if she's not American. Why don't you open it up (carefully) and see what you find inside? And would/could you post a photograph of the entire photograph including frame. (Frames helps with dating.)

Debora

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Shemp's sister ? [​IMG]

CheersDears, Firemandk, Fid and 2 others like this.
  4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

LOL!

Laura1969 and judy like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think she's very, very late Victorian. Turn of the century-ish. That's based on the high collar and gathered bodice. But something odd about her. Luxurious brocade fabric but plain hair and no jewelry. And that plain white detachable collar looks almost ecclesiastical.

Debora

LovesVintage and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

Debora, here's a picture of the frame and contents. The picture seems to be attached to the backing it's on. I don't see any writing on the bottom corners of the pictures but it may have faded out.

HPIM6828.JPG
    HPIM6829.JPG
    HPIM6831.JPG
    HPIM6832.JPG HPIM6834.JPG HPIM6838.JPG

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

hahahahahaha!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nice simple frame. Not sure how much more you can figure out. You think that's the surname of the individual who commissioned the framing? Looks like "Felds" to my eye. And I continue to think she's not American.

Debora

LovesVintage likes this.
  9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I thought it was a man at first ... Joy.

sabre123 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like a silver gelatin card-mounted photo. That type of card mount was often seen in the early 20th century, although could also be 1890s. Silver gelatin prints were first seen in the 1890s but became much more prevalent in the early 20th century. She does appear to have a European heritage, imo... but it's not possible to tell whether the photo was taken in Europe or in some other place. Lots of immigration and emigration was happening by then.

11. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

That is one compelling woman; she looks like a wise elder to me. Thanks for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted