Featured Old pottery pot from Peru: Possibly Chama

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lithographer, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I purchased this pot from an estate sale about 7-8 years ago, I think I paid $15. It came with some documentation from when the owners purchased it. It has been broken and repaired at some point. It stands about 8 inches tall and 9 inches wide. I did not take a picture of the bottom because of the repair at the top and it is fragile. The bottom is flat and it looks like it has been in a fire. I do not know if that is from use or from the original firing. I was hoping that someone is knowledgeable in this area. How old do you think the pot is and was the correct tribe indicated on the bill of sale?
    IMG_1406.jpg IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1409.jpg IMG_1410.jpg IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1405.jpg

2. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Very cool.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've had some Shipibo pottery before and yours resembles that. I'm not familiar with Chama or Cashibo pottery so don't know.

There was a good explanation about the patterned Shipibo pottery given by someone on the board who knows these things. It might be helpful.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/gorgets-points-pipes-pottery-and-popeye.20211/
    Taupou:
    "I don't deal in prehistoric items, so I won't offer any observations on the points. I can offer some information on the pottery, especially the white one with the black line decoration, displayed in what appears to be a South Pacific wood bowl.
    The pot is Shipibo, made for the tourist market, from Peru. It looks old but was first produced in the 1940's, and is still being produced for export today. The Shipibo used to make plain, undecorated pottery for their own use. After World War II, missionaries to the area convinced the potters that if they decorated the pots with the traditional designs used on their textiles and face painting, they would have an item that would sell well on the market. It became the tribe's main source of income."

upload_2021-4-19_16-14-9.png

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Such pottery is typical of the Shipibo people, as @say_it_slowly suggested and @Taupou explained. They live along the Ucayali river, on the Amazonian side of Peru. "Chama" is a variant of Tschama, which refers to several tribes living along the Ucayali that share related languages.

Draft saved Draft deleted