Old Pump

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Garrett Storm, May 2, 2020.

1. Garrett Storm

Garrett Storm New Member

Hello. A few days ago I purchased this old hand pump from a local auction in Central Illinois for $30 and I'm trying to find out exactly what it is. It's a hand pump of some kind, I'm assuming it was used for water. The brand says Peter's Pump Kewanee, IL, and has a few part numbers scatted about it. It appears to be in remarkable condition and all parts move freely. Assuming this is a water pump, I bought it with the hopeful intention of using it as a water pump on my property when I build my log cabin some day, but if that dream falls through then at least it will make a nice conversation piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT is ONE unusual looking pump!!!! DID NOT see, find or read about any that looked like yours, but found this "cover" with Patent dates on it from Peter's Pump Co.....might establish something for the company.....please wait for others to chime in....there has to be more expertise out there than mine on this......!:joyful::joyful:

antique-cast-iron-peters-pump-co_1_cc27328990c47a4a19f3cc5d9fccb456.jpg

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a double acting pump for a bilge or basement

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Back in the EARLY '50's, when we first went to Block Island, the house that my parents had just bought was truly an original (except for maintenance, reshingling type stuff) 300 year old house built in 1671....that first summer I think I was maybe 9, 10 at most, there was no running water....(complete with outhouse...oh how I hated THAT!!)...I digress....there was a..as I remember...huge pump in what was the 'borning room' (later to become the downstairs bathroom)....that pulled water up from a small natural spring a bit below the house....I COULDN'T handle that pump....the HANDLE was VERY LONG and went side to side...which I first thought of when I saw @Garrett Storm's pump above....not identical.....but SO similar....AS I REMEMBER! So for the first summer (& possibly the second) we had no running water & an Outhouse.......the rich people had a Canopy Over the bed.....
    We had a Can-A-pee Under the bed................HATED THAT TOO!!!;):happy::happy:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We had "outdoor plumbing" until I was 10 and no hot running water. We had a wood stove in the kitchen/dining room/living room and two small bedrooms. My Dad would get up early and start the stove and put a big kettle of water on so we could wash up. There would be frost on the inside of the windows. My aunts who still lived further out in the NH woods - one had a pump in the yard and the other had a pump in the kitchen. When I first moved to Boston I was enamored with the hot water coming right out of the faucet. My roommates thought I was loony.
    It was 1967 when all the hippies were moving to the woods to "live off the land." I couldn't wait to live in the city!

Draft saved Draft deleted