Old ring 1920s? Help please with info. Also, any Worthpoint users?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Happy!, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Found this old ring in my Grandma's sewing cabinet. The markings ID it as a McGrath-Hamin ring.

This was also my Mom's sewing cabinet. She is 92 now.

I did some research and don't think this is from the 1950s, so would this perhaps be from my Grandma's era, say 1920s? I like the idea of thinking of her wearing it with her flapper dresses...

Also, what is the metal used (?)and the stone (Citrine?) and are the rhinestones called paste because they are just chips; not high quality?

I see a few sterling ones on Etsy, but I don't this does not say that, just Pat Appld and the M arrow mark. Worthpoint shows a "Citrine" ring sold on Nov. 3, 2016. "
    VINTAGE MCGRATH-HAMING CITRINE RING SIZE 7" Does anyone have a subscription with the price it sold for?

Am not thinking of selling it at this point, but I do like to know a rough sold value in case I have to in the future.

Also, what is that greening at the back? Is that remnants of a foil back or some corrosion caused by the metal used? I know just enough to be confused lol.. Should I clean it and how?

P1150823 500.jpg
    P1150821 500.jpg
    P1150819 500.png

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a base metal ring. The style is Edwardian, with those flowers on the band, but Edwardian was copied in the 50s. I think it was your Mom's.
    I can see bubbles in the yellow stone, that means it is glass or another non-precious material.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Clean it. Dawn dishwashing detergent (the original) with a splash of ammonia if you have it.
    Then use mineral oil to seal it. Wipe off any excess.
    Keep it away from your other jewelry. That green occurs on metals other than gold or silver. It occurs often from moisture. It's called verdi gras and will spread to other metal items.

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I think you mean verdigris. I see you're in a party mood cluttered, verdigris-mardi gras.:)

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I wouldn't dunk it; that's how the surrounding rhinestones went as dark as they are. The paint on the back got wet and went all dark. In this case, since they're already gone, I'd throw that into a little container of white vinegar and let it soak. That will get the greenies off; the clear stones can't get any darker anyway.

kyratango and judy like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::meh:Just love how the brain mis-functions. I find myself spelling phonetically, using homonyms incorrectly, grammar out of whack. Thanks for correcting me.:)

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, am trying the cleaning now...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's OK......I've been there too....
    but verdi Gras.....that was good for a laugh......& I need a laugh !
    ( & that's laughing with you.....not at U !! )

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Much better than Mardi Gris, which sounds a bit glum.

clutteredcloset49 and komokwa like this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

but not as alarming as gris-gris..................

11. Any Jewelry

I agris.

12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Depends on who made one and stuck it in your Depends....

Draft saved Draft deleted