Old Sacred Songs book

Discussion in 'Books' started by boxmike, Aug 3, 2019.

1. boxmike

boxmike New Member

Okay so the Author of this book is Thomas G. Neal. The book is filled with very old songs. I remember it being on my Grandmothers piano. I've tried looking it up, but no info pops up. Crazy telephone contact number. HELP ME lol

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the phone number in the book? Back when, the first 2 numbers of a 6 digit number were represented with the first 2 letters of the "name" of the "exchange." That why there are letters on the buttons of your phone. The SU of Sunset is dialed as 78.

Ghopper1924, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. boxmike

boxmike New Member

Yeah that just looks weird. I think it's more weird that I can't find anything at all on the book.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

What date(s) are printed in the book as to when it was published?

I notice that Thomas D. Neal's address shows a 5-digit postal zip code for his and/or his company's address.

Can you give us an idea of the type of hymns or names of a few of the hymns?

Ghopper1924, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if Neal just self-published sheet music he compiled for his local church. Looks like the copy is stapled together.

6. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

We're not wondering -- we're just about certain that's what it was... is. Compiled, printed, and distributed by Neal, for sale to regional churches. Probably right around 1963, when Zip codes first came into use and after which time almost no one was still using words/names instead of numerals as the start of a phone exchange.

Ghopper1924, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. boxmike

boxmike New Member

Awesome! It is just a cool little piece of history to me!

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="BaseballGames, post: 837570, member: 7826". . . using words/names instead of numerals as the start of a phone exchange.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness, Baseball Games. I can't believe that to this day I remember the two different telephone exchange words for my (parents') house/neighborhood when I was younger -- first was CYpress and then a few years later BRoadway was added to the area. Ah, yet another trip down memory lane. :happy:

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted