Old silver box NEWARI

Discussion in 'Art' started by Massimiliano, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Massimiliano

Massimiliano New Member

Buonasera, qualcuno sa il valore di questo scrigno dorato del popolo NEWARI?

Attached Files:

ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

no parliamo italiano!

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Buonasera, Massimiliano,
    I think you will find it much more helpful to use English on this site, as many of us do not speak or read Italian(?). I am fairly certain you are seeking some information about this bella trinket box? Perhaps, there will be others that can be more helpful in this regard, but using Translate might be your best option.

ulilwitch and patd8643 like this.
  4. flipper

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/290411875951101689/
    Nepal, Tibet, around there. I can definitely see the similarities in some of these examples on Pinterest. If you are wondering if yours is as old as the 17th or 18thC, I think you would need to provide more information, more history, more pictures?
    It is a striking piece, regardless. Is it silver, as you have mentioned? Not gold? Not brass? Tell us more.

ulilwitch likes this.
  5. flipper

Leaf-Shaped Box, 17th–19th century. Top decoration: Newari; box: Tibet, Lhasa area. Gold, diamonds, topaz, emeralds, rubies, sapphire, pearl, aquamarine, lapis lazuli, and turquoise; 6 x 2 1/2 in. (15.2 x 6.3 cm). The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, John Stewart Kennedy Fund, 1915
    [​IMG]

ulilwitch likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

OP's is brass, not gold and not 18thc!

20thc Nepalese/Tibetan coral and turquoise box

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  7. flipper

molto buona!

Fid likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Benvenuto Massimiliano.
    I love this style. You identified it correctly, it was made by the Newar people, who live in the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal.
    My guess is the first half of the 20th century.
    You say it is silver. On your photos it looks like brass, probably with traces of gilding. They made these in gilt brass and in silver. Some of the silver ones are gilded as well. Could we see the bottom and the inside please?

The turquoises are real Tibetan (through trade, the box is definitely made in Nepal) and possibly some Persian. Turquoises on these Newari pieces are generally a mix of the two origins, the bright turquoise blue ones are often Persian.
    As far as I can see, the coral pieces look like real coral. There could be some glass too, sometimes both coral and glass are used side by side.
    The central figure is Vishnu resting on a Deva type figure (can't remember the name), both are inlaid with glass.
    We don't generally do values here, but we can usually point you in the right direction. Newari pieces of this age are not traded that often, you mostly see later work with glass paste inlay.
    Recently more higher end pieces are made, in the old style, with ruby and tourmaline inlay.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    blooey, Aquitaine and ulilwitch like this.
  10. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Lovely!

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you so much, @Any Jewelry!! As usual, your critiques are always SO thorough and informative!!!!:):):):happy::happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted