Old silver pendents

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Kalindu, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Kalindu

Kalindu New Member

can anyone tell me some details about these Origin and etc

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Kalindu. it's easier for us if you make photos full size. You can go back & edit your post, using 'other options' to change how pictures are displayed.

Would it be reasonable to think these marks are Russian?

upload_2019-6-10_15-53-38.png

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Kalindu

Kalindu New Member

It can’t be Russian it’s from Sri Lanka so maybe Dutch or portuguese unfortunately I do t have any phots

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Except it looks like the silver plaque is in the style of a Russian Orthodox icon. Is there some reason an adherent of that faith couldn't have been living in Sri Lanka?

Christmasjoy and Kalindu like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. Bronwen

8. Kalindu

Kalindu New Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Kalindu

Kalindu New Member

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not yet......

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Kalindu.
    It is too recent to have been made in the Dutch or Portuguese periods, but there are still many Catholics in Sri Lanka. I think they were 20th century import.
    Roman Catholics use images that could be mistaken for Russian Orthodox. Both Christian traditions of depicting the Madonna are based on Madonna paintings attributed to st Luke.
    The style of this Madonna looks early to medieval Italian to me. A bit like this 1310-1315 painting by Giotto:

[​IMG]
    https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.397.html

12. Bronwen

@Kalindu You are asking us to help you made a decision about whether they are worth buying. There are things to consider photos do not address. Right now we do not even know if they are worth what is being asked for them in the melt down value of the metal. @Bakersgma Can you make anything of the marks? Are we looking at sterling or...?

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The format of the marks shown above matches Imperial Russian silver marks. I cannot see enough detail to give you chapter and verse, but I can say that this period of Russian marks is a minefield of fakes. Not saying these are fakes, just trying to warn you of the possibility.

There is no way that this particular marking set is either Dutch or Portuguese.

Sorry to be so long finding your tag, Bronwen. It never appeared in my Alert list.

14. Bronwen

I don't consider about 2 1/2 hours 'so long' & am always appreciatively dazzled by your knowledge. And, of course, happy to learn my completely inexpert impression was not completely off base. Thanks. :)

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think Kalindu meant Sri Lankan Dutch or Portuguese, which would be unlikely to have Dutch or Portuguese marks.
    I know the Dutch East Indies, of which Sri Lanka was once a part, had its own marks. I only know the old marks for Batavia (present-day Jakarta, Indonesia) though, and these marks are not Batavian.
    But these two are much more recent than Dutch or Portuguese colonial times.
    Also too recent to be Russian Imperial period imo. There is no wear on them, whereas Russian crucifixes etc were worn daily and always show wear.
    The style of the crucifix is Western (Roman) Catholic, too realistic to be Eastern Orthodox, imo. The Russian Orthodox bodies are more stylized, either slightly rigid-looking, or with a sharp bend in the hips.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted