Old Southwest Rug or Blanket?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by KevinM, Feb 2, 2017.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I purchased this today and it was listed as a blanket, but I guess it could be a rug. Anyways, looks like southwest style to me, I have looked around some and found one similar symbol on some rugs but I'm still not sure when and where this rug was made.

Does anyone know where, who and/or when this was made and if it's a rug or a blanket or any other info. It measures about 4' 7" by 4' 9 1/2" and has a fringe on all 4 sides of it.

Thanks!
    Kevin
    HPIM6386.JPG HPIM6380.JPG HPIM6382.JPG HPIM6388.JPG HPIM6389.JPG HPIM6390.JPG HPIM6391.JPG HPIM6392.JPG HPIM6393.JPG HPIM6394.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin,
    We need to see the fringe.
    greg

3. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Hi Gregsglass,

The fringe can be seen in the 2nd and 3rd photo images (the rug is folded). I can take better closeup of it if it would help.

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Here's a few more images of the fringe close up. The last images is with the rug turned over to the opposite side.
    HPIM6395.JPG HPIM6396.JPG HPIM6397.JPG HPIM6399.JPG

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No Southwest American Indian rug ever made has fringes on all 4 sides...

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Maybe a 1900s-1920s piano scarf???? I have one with Middle Eastern symbolism woven in to it. About the same size as well.

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

When identifying a rug or blanket, the way it is woven is far more important than the design, patterns, or symbols it displays. This shows several distinctive, unusual weaving techniques which should help determine where it comes from. And the way the fringe is tied off should help, as well.

All I can say is I agree, definitely not Native American, or even what I would call Southwest. It's going to take someone who specializes in this particular type of weaving to properly identify it.

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks for the replies and information everyone. I thought this might be an easy one but as I looked at some Piano scarfs as Mansons2005 suggested there seems to be just tons of patterns and the size of some of them are close. And yes, I would agree with Taupou on the importance of the way it is woven after seeing what's out there. Also, a good tip by komokwa on the fringes. Not sure I will ever find the who, when and where on this one. Well, maybe early 1900's, perhaps...

Thanks again!
    Kevin

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The colours and motifs are very much of Pakistan, Afghanistan and into Turkey.

Draft saved Draft deleted