Old Spanish Days Santa Barbara Drinking Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Photodude, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Photodude

Photodude Member

7B3EF200-E8E3-4980-9E32-50DEC04E9C46.jpeg I finally think I have something that is an astonishing find: this very early either painted or decaled Drinking glass from the old Spanish days fiesta celebration Annually held in Santa Barbara California. I know from my research that this particular design in later years has been used but just below it within the design it always has the year, this one has no year. I believe my parents took their honeymoon in Santa Barbara during the fiesta in 1942. The old Spanish days Santa Barbara website contact has told me they’ve never seen one like it. Anybody else have specifics? Thanks very much.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A decal. And I'm not sure that anyone here would be a better resource than then Old Spanish Days themselves. Confused by your parent's honeymoon though. According to the internet, the fiesta wasn't held from 1942-1945.

Debora

3. Photodude

Photodude Member

140DEE45-A1AE-409A-8BA9-7362B4AF25E5.jpeg Interesting info, can you send me the link to that info? All I have to go on is the scrapbook, and it features Fiesta related Stuff... F0CC4260-FC54-4900-A9E1-7F88B7B70D6D.jpeg 010857C5-6434-44AB-A415-DB4D8C27C63E.jpeg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So the above are souvenirs from your parents' honeymoon? And the glass is another?

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly there's a date on one of those items.

Debora

7. Photodude

Photodude Member

Thanks; everything paper is in the honeymoon scrapbook. Definitely all 1942. The glass is a mystery again. I want to figure out for sure. That’s what I’m trying to do because there were lots of items in the scrapbook also associated with things like ashtrays And menus which I’m thinking they kept as Momentos. That glass may or may not have been a Momento? I think it’s very early for that design but I’m not sure exactly when? Is it possible that someone created this for the 1942 fiesta but after they canceled it they found a buyer in a local restaurant like the El Paseo? Wish I knew. Couldn’t have asked my mom in her last year’s anyway as her dementia was too bad to remember those details. I didn’t find that glass until cleaning out the house a few years ago... Could the size of that glass or the shape be a hint as to its age? If so, I’ll give it a measure otherwise I won’t bother.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's no reason to think the glass isn't contemporary with the other Santa Barbara souvenirs from their honeymoon. It's of little value besides sentimental. Not sure how you'd be able to find out more. Perhaps the Santa Barbara Historical Museum could be of help.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted