Featured Old stone lamp help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris M, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Chris M

Chris M New Member

Hello, I’m new to the forum and hoping someone can assist me in figuring out what kind of lamp I have. I’ve tried a few antique shops in my area and no one seems to have an answer. Thanks In advance for any help!

My late uncle had left me a lamp. A very heavy stone lamp. I have a hundred stories behind it he shared with me over the years. Im attempting to figure out it’s history—what it is, who made it, date era, etc. there’s no visible text, stickers, numbers anywhere. Not quite sure where to go.

Does anyone have any knowledge they could share? Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The male figure is Pierrot with his mandolin engaged in seduction. The female figure is likely meant to be Columbine. I'd think your lamp dates to the 1920s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot

Debora

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you share with us, Chris, what your uncle told you about the lamp?

Debora

bercrystal and Born2it like this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Made of alabaster and marble according to auction sites on the internet.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"...auction sites on the internet?"

Debora

7. LauraGarnet02

8. LauraGarnet02

There's several more I can find, but I'm having trouble with my internet connection or something. My browser keeps locking up. Ugh.

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is fabulous. Generally, most alabaster lamps come from Italy. However, something about this says French to me.

Figtree3, bercrystal and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. Chris M

Chris M New Member

Thanks everyone! I’m glad I found somewhere that can shed light on my 40lb lamp :)

The stories he used to share where just how he came about inheriting the lamp from his great grandparents. How him and his wife would fight over the lamp because she never had an interest in it and could never move it herself. It was just entertaining to listen to a new story about it every time I saw him.

I guess my next question as I’m more curious than anything, is does this lamp have any value? I’m not super interested in letting it go, but curious as in what it might bring. I live in a small state where appraisers are slim and what I’ve found thus far, not very knowledgeable on this item.

Again, thanks to everyone for your knowledge and being able to find what you have on this lamp!

bercrystal and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It needs a clean. Don't laugh but cheap white bread is your friend.

I'm with French, too.

bercrystal, Chris M and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

There are too many variables to hope for a truly accurate picture on value. However, just from experience I'd throw out $500.

bercrystal, Chris M and verybrad like this.
  15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Chris M & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

By any chance did your aunt &/or uncle smoke? The brownish coloring could be a build-up of nicotine, dust, dirt & possibly grease depending on its location to the kitchen.

I was at an auction one time where a set of crystal stemware was identified as "amber colored" but in reality, they were a beautiful clear-cut crystal that was absolutely coated in the above combination. :yuck::yuck: When they were washed the soap bubbles also turned brown. :p:p:rolleyes:

I have never tried white bread but some mild soap & water applied with a soft brush would also help. ;):happy::happy:

Also, I agree with the others that it is a wonderful lamp! :D

BTW I would bet your aunt thought it too risque for mixed company. ;):playful: :hilarious::hilarious:

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

It does look like fag smoke and grease to me, too. A wipe over with the equivalent of Fairy liquid and water won't hurt. The cheap bread used as an eraser will get into it.

I've had glass like that. Why don't they WASH it before selling, eh?

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  17. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

That is a "Wow" lamp!

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

In this particular case, I did not care because I got the stems very cheap & then sold them for much more. ;):p:p:smug::smug::smug::smug: :hilarious:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Oh yes. I've had mud encrusted glass before now.

bercrystal likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely lamp. Welcome to Antiquers, @Chris M !

Draft saved Draft deleted