Featured Old? Stoneware Bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Jul 15, 2018.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Pick up a stoneware bowl. Impressed is J. H. Altmans 141 Brook 621 High St. Stands 4 1/2" tall and 6 1/4" across the top. I am not finding anything on this name. Can anyone help?

bowl1.JPG bowl2.JPG bowl3.JPG bowl7.JPG

808 raver, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I haven’t found anything on this either. Maybe someone else can think of something.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would suggest asking Crocker Farm.
    It's a nice looking bowl.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Try J H Althans. There was a J H Althans Co in Rhode Island around the turn of the century. (don't know for sure though)

Mugzinnys, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  5. kraftblue

Thanks everyone. Will send an email to them today.

Mugzinnys and i need help like this.
  6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Whoa doggies . . . I just did a little "research" and apparently the people of Rhode Island are (or certainly "were") in love with having a "High Street" in every city, town, community, etc.

There is/was(?) a "High Street" in Block Island, Cumberland, Warwick, Hope, Woonsocket, and North Providence. ;)

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

J. H. Althans is listed under "Bakers" in this 1889 Providence directory at two addresses, including 621 High.

https://books.google.com/books?id=8ssCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA597&lpg=PA597&dq=j.+h.+althans+621+high&source=bl&ots=jG2UrwO9xB&sig=nfYzXXzLUzFo2bNgWhkD24vdSnE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnjMyszancAhUCh-AKHf7dC8IQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=j. h. althans 621 high&f=false

I also scrolled down to pg. 1086 and there is a display ad that says "John H. Althans / Wholesale and Retail / Fancy Baker / and / Ice Cream Manufacturer."

If you search "John H. Althans" you will find more info about the company.

8. kraftblue

Thanks Fig!

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted