Featured Old string of beads - help please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jaime Riggs, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

I ran across these beads at a thrift store. They look handmade to me, amber spheres and orange glass beads that are very different. These are knotted and the strand is very long, 50 inches. Beads are about 8 -10mm wide. Missing one bead. Am I way off base to say these are flapper length, dating from circa 1920's? Any additional info is greatly appreciated. 53076407_2030196863940213_8030117486508638208_n.jpg 52920349_2074912919230232_1868224956018458624_n.jpg 52911223_744956372554608_2097927920201760768_n.jpg

kingcake, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you for the excellent photos.

Hand knotted, 50 inches, flapper length. Fantastic. The orange/red beads are somewhat similar to beads you sometimes find on Max Neiger necklaces. Not saying this is a Max Neiger necklace, but I do think points to that era, etc. I think yours is 1920s-30s, Czech.

The orange beads on yours are somewhat similar to the orange ones here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-De...item48a3343c4e:g:W5sAAOSwRkRZ2Qk2:rk:157:pf:0

Jaime Riggs, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep - 1920s/1930s Czech beads. Odds are they've been restrung at least once; the cording looks newer than the beads are.

4. Lucille.b

Look at the 1st and 2nd photo though. The 3rd photo makes it look like a yellow thread which would clearly be newer, but I think a trick of the light, its more of a brown color in the first two pics. I would have thought the original thread but maybe doesn't matter, the value really comes from the beads.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a lovely necklace, Jaime, a real collectable.
    I'm with the others, 1920s-30s Czech. The thread looks original to me, but restrung wouldn't be a problem I think.

The seller in the link doesn't provide any proof for the attribution to Max Neiger.
    All beads used in that necklace are generic and used by many jewellery makers in Gablonz. The elephant beads are not carved, they were made in molds, just like the others in that necklace, and they were used by several manufacturers. There is an unattributed necklace with exactly the same elephant beads in the Sibylle Jargtorf book I mentioned in another thread.;)
    So I would take the ebay description with a pinch of salt.
    Your coral beads were also made in a mold, the amber beads look handmade.

In Gablonz (Jablonec), where these beauties were made, there were bead etc makers, and makers of metal ornaments. People like Max Neiger and others bought these ready-made components and assembled them into specific designs.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    patd8643 likes this.
  6. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I believe the the string is original, it is yellow/brown and very old style material.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

I sold a necklace very similar to the one I linked, elephants and same shape beads (different color, blue rather than orange). This was about three years ago, ID'd here on Antiquers as Max Neiger. It was purchased at the same sale where I got that 1900s Saphiret cross if anyone recalls either thread.

The one I had sold well on Ebay auction, went to Australia if memory serves. Maybe these hand knotted molded 20s/30s Czech elephant necklaces are commonly sold as Max Neiger. Sounds like incorrectly according to the Sibylle Jargtorf book, which is highly regarded.

Posted that link as Jamie's orange beads reminded me of the molded Czech ones popular in that era. Just to give an example of Czech molded glass I could easily come up with. But as I said above, "Not saying that this one (Jamie's) is Max Neiger".

Thanks for the clarification on Max Neiger, AJ. Definitely some things can get incorrectly attributed.

Jaime Riggs and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted