Featured Old tilt top small table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cassy, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Cassy

Cassy Well-Known Member

DD2254E2-774E-4D58-9F2B-F00604AA4D91.jpeg DD2254E2-774E-4D58-9F2B-F00604AA4D91.jpeg 062A1CF3-DAED-46AA-9740-65EFBD4D27B4.jpeg 7A45A019-FBC4-49C2-B669-0EE97059F4E8.jpeg Looking for help aging . Identity this mahogany and ash table , cheers

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pics are pretty dark so hard to tell much. Does appear to be at least 19th century. Single board top? Size? Odd that top and base are different woods. Marriage? Really need more/better pictures.

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, looks like a candle stand that got converted to a Tea table somewhere along the way.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking something doesn't add up with this table.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Got any dimensions, Cassy???

zzzzzDD2254E2-774E-4D58-9F2B-F00604AA4D91.jpg zzzzz7A45A019-FBC4-49C2-B669-0EE97059F4E8.jpg

James Conrad likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the hardware.....these 3 leg puppies can wobble all over the place !!

Aquitaine and James Conrad like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You can see, at the very least, I think those nice leg supports are fixing a bad crack!!!

zzzzz062A1CF3-DAED-46AA-9740-65EFBD4D27B4.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. James Conrad

Yeah, the problem is, it should be a single piece of hand forged iron, not 3 separate pieces as in this table. Also, the legs on tripod tables are usually dovetailed into the column, i don't see that here either. Course, it is english, not my field so.......

CT_Candle_Bottom.jpg

IMG_0910_l.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  10. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

As a fan of those little tables, I give you my opinion too, the top is a good english part especially looking at the lock typically english, mounted sometimes later on foots by a man who is not a wood worker to save this top, the steel blades under are really not a good quality indication(superb examples by James !)…

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So is it possible that the parts of the table are very different ages? Or do they seem about the same age? I've never owned this type of table, but rather like them.

judy likes this.
  12. James Conrad

Well, anything is possible i guess but, the legs appear like they are screwed to the column which if they are, right away excludes OP table as being period. In america there were basically only 2 types of tripod tables, candle stands & tea tables, in england many more uses, dessert tables, supper tables, all kinds of tripod tables.
    Tripod candle stands are NOTORIOUSLY unstable & will tip over quite easily. In america when whale oil lamps came about in 1820- 1830 or so, tripod candle stands stopped being made pretty much overnight, they were just to dangerous to hold a lamp filled with oil.
    4 leg light stands (now referred to as work stands) became the the standard in america and it stayed that way for the remainder of the 19th century.
    Not sure about the history of tripod tables in england.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for the information!

14. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Looking under the two near me, they don't have a steel part under, but the mount is very precise and they have the chance to never has been transported or used for other purpose than dumb waiters or just tables you put near your seat for tea or scones etc…

i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted