Old Ugly Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by AntiqueHobbit, Apr 30, 2019.

1. AntiqueHobbit

AntiqueHobbit Active Member

judy likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

It looks like a pretty standard foot locker. How big is it?

Aquitaine, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's not ugly...........but it's not that old either......50's.....??

4. AntiqueHobbit

Pretty good sized? It’s in storage right now but I’d say like three feet high, 5 or 6 feet wide?

judy likes this.
  5. AntiqueHobbit

Fair enough. Is stuff from the 50s desirable or worth anything?

judy likes this.
  6. AntiqueHobbit

Now that I know 50s it kind of looks like a travel chest?

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

it's not far off from the one I used in the 60's......but I could be off by a few years...still it never saw ocean travel......

Yes...stuff from the 50's , is making a come back.....but ya gotta know which stuff...and I don't see trunks like this ever being used for travel again.......but I guess they could hold a kids toys...if Mom didn't fret about all the metal on it...
    :playful::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

sabre123, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Sounds a little big for a foot locker... (They are known as foot lockers because they are used in the military and are usually kept at the foot of a soldier's bunk or bed.)

If it's as big as you say, you might call it a "steamer trunk". Do you have the tray insert that goes inside it?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Older kids, maybe! (Just not any little ones who could find themselves somehow trapped inside - or locked in there by a sibling or friend!)

My daughter used her Dad's 1970's military one for her Barbie stuff - and it was FULL!!!

10. komokwa

mine was bright blue...and shiny......and had an inner top shelf.......but never saw a ' steamer ' !! Heehehe!!!!!!!

11. AntiqueHobbit

Older for sure the hinges on the inside are pretty wicked.
    No tray, sadly. Have someone interested in buying it just didn’t know what it was or how to price it, really appreciate the knowledge. Y’all are always great.

12. komokwa

they seem to want college kids to be using these.....which is not the worst idea...so maybe there's still some value left in the old ways..!!!

13. AntiqueHobbit

Also goes without saying but thank you for your service to our nation.

i need help and judy like this.
  14. komokwa

you can check on line prices for new ones.....there are pages of em...

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. AntiqueHobbit

Yeah looked around... honestly hoping to get like 50 for it. I think that’s fair? I’m... not good at pricing things lol...

i need help likes this.
  16. komokwa

I think that's fair also !

Listen @AntiqueHobbit .......we thank service men & women here often.....but since it's a personal Thank....& you want it pointed in the right direction.....
    the bottom left of every post has a reply icon.....so to answer or post to a specific person....click on that reply icon...& then write your response in the box provided....that way ...it gets to the proper person you're addressing the comment to !! K !!

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking this is going to be one of those confusing threads?:confused:

Anyway, these trunks are also used as coffee tables nowadays, so I am sure someone will be interested.

komokwa, Aquitaine, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

We moved so often (back when at home growing up!) that's what Mom stored her 5 silver tea services, etc! in....they were pretty sturdy trunks!!!! And contents were pretty safe from damage!!! Looooong gone now!!!:singing::singing: Which means polishing is up to OH, SO many OTHERS!!!!!!! YESSSSS!!!

19. AntiqueHobbit

Yeah we got ours at an estate sale I. The condition it’s already in so... we’ll leave the work of polishing and restoring to the buyer lol...

20. komokwa

Nope...threads almost run it's course.....Hobbit may have found a buyer....and it looks like he's posting to me about 'service'...so a tip about posting to a specific person was called for...... at least i thought so !

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted