Featured Old W L Wyllie print/lithograph fancy ensemble

Discussion in 'Art' started by charlie cheswick, Feb 17, 2018.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

can anybody help with this fancy looking gold lithograph/print

couple of the pictures signed with w l wyllie

looking up close with loupe theres no ben day print dots

wondered who all the characters were, and what the picture is about

many thanks

liths1_resize_20180217_194114.jpg liths2_resize_20180217_194110.jpg liths3_resize_20180217_194110.jpg liths5_resize_20180217_194113.jpg liths6_resize_20180217_194113.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How strange not to have names for all the oval portraits. It seems to show "modern" progress in 3 categories - ocean travel, land travel and city lighting. Maybe there is something on the reverse that might explain the connection between the progress scenes and the people pictured.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bakers got her excellent answer in while I was typing this, which agrees with her.
    Pairs of pictures depicting a couple of types of travel & a (city?) street as they used to be in some year & how they are now, X number of years later.

4. Bakersgma

The combination of the graphic design and the progress pictures (particularly the bottom right which looks like it has a "horseless carriage" on the street) makes me think roughly 1900 for a date on this, maybe 1910.

5. Bronwen

In the 'after' pic of the street, think the streetlights have also been modernized to electric.

Time depicted & time made not necessarily the same. The men are not US presidents. Could be great inventors/engineers/mathematician who made the progress possible.

6. Bakersgma

7. charlie cheswick

thanks for the input guys, yeah i was wondering what the correlation was, or what it was celebrating, hard to find a good way of describing it.

do you think its got any collectability ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Bronwen

England was an early adopter of electric streetlights, although did not start in London. Wiki:

The first street to be lit by an incandescent lightbulb was Mosley Street, in Newcastle upon Tyne. The street was lit by Joseph Swan's incandescent lamp on 3 February 1879.[12] Consequently, Newcastle was the first city in the world to be fully lit up by lighting.[13] The first street to be lit with modern electricity as we know it was Electric Avenue in London's Brixton in 1880.

9. Bakersgma

Probably best in the UK, but it sure would help to know the reason it was created in the first place. Book perhaps? How big is the the paper?

10. Bronwen

I'm sure it does. Silly us: all 3 pairs are about how transportation has changed.

11. charlie cheswick

hi, its 15" by 11, nothing on the back

do you think its a lithograph or some sort of early print

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can't tell for sure, but it does look like a lithograph (the colors, etc.).

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  13. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

15. Bakersgma

16. charlie cheswick

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The portrait next to the train could be of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the engineering genius of the early Victorian era.
    Just wanted to say that wonderful name.....;)

[​IMG]

18. charlie cheswick

Isambard Kingdom Brunel, just wanted to say it myself as well !!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great, isn't it!:happy:

20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Rolls of the tongue .. :) .. Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted