Old wedgwood.. 19th or 20th century.. I can't tell

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Louie, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Louie

Louie New Member

I've checked the tables and marks on the bottom and I am still confused (no surprise there).. I have this teapot from my grandmother and would be so grateful if someone could properly date it.. thanks for all your help..
    20200203_125951.jpg 20200208_183629.jpg 20200208_183700.jpg 20200203_125951.jpg 20200208_183629.jpg 20200208_183700.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Louie. My one Wedgwood reference book says D can be 1875 or 1901. Given condition, think 1901 the more probable.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1901 is more likely to have had England as well though. I've had two hundred year old Wedgwood in amazing condition.

Bronwen and blooey like this.
  4. Louie

Louie New Member

Wow, this is exciting ! I am so curious to see how this turns out... thanks so far for the responses !

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Pulling my book down again, OBB is quite correct: the absence of 'ENGLAND' indicates an earlier piece, one from before 1891.

The shape of yours, #146, is one of the most common, although ones from 1875 in such good condition can't be so common anymore.

6. Louie

Louie New Member

It is in really great shape, and surprises me that it may be so old. I wonder if any members of this forum might know of a reputable appraiser/expert that I might contact for further research?? thanks

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Looking at recent auction prices for sold pieces that are comparable is exactly what an appraiser would do. With the Internet & the information you have, you can do this yourself.

Antique Wedgwood Jasperware dark blue teapot

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's also a couple of good Facebook groups for Wedgwood, including a sales one.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Louie

Louie New Member

Thank you that's a great idea!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted