Old White Cotton Sewing Thread.

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Christmasjoy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Any old wooden reels of WHITE cotton sewing thread for repair of antique doll clothes and other antique garments, must be white, and 100 percent cotton thread and not heavy in nature, just old regular sewing thread. I will trade for a beautiful very long baptismal baby gown with tons of broderie Anglais lace, tucks etc. Circa 1880's, very clean and in EXCELLENT condition. Please gather as many wooden reels of old WHITE COTTON thread as possible, I am almost out of it. Thanks to anyone who can help, Joy.

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I suspect I may have a tub of sewing stuff somewhere, but I'd not want anything. It just may take a bit of finding. If it comes up in my next sort out I'll remember.

3. Christmasjoy

Thank You so much, I only need white color as I have plenty of other colors, they did wear a lot of white back then. Thanks again for your most welcome reply, Joy.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have a few spools of thread that used to belong to my grandmother. Unfortunately, the white ones appear to be all polyester. There are a couple of partial spools of other colors that are cotton.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Thank you for your reply, I really need "cotton" thread to repair these old items, and only white color. Your reply was most welcome though and I appreciate it very much, Joy.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a couple of boxes of my mother's sewing stuff packed away. I'm sure I have some cotton left. Just might take awhile to find it.

7. Christmasjoy

Thank You thelmasstuff, Joy.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The problem with old cotton thread is that cotton rots. The old kind may be too dead to use. The mercerized version might still be OK. Silk of course is even worse.

9. Christmasjoy

Hi evelynb30, A weaker old white cotton thread still will work as the stack of old antique doll clothes will only be put on a doll, and the repairs of old cotton clothing will be for display only, I have a theatrical group that are interested in the adult clothing. Often the old cotton is still quite strong and usable, I have plenty of the colored thread and many reels of silk, some of the silk is too weak to use and will be tossed out, but some is still serviceable. I have my mothers dolls here and other things of hers, I don't know if my 72 year old eyes will hold out to do the repairs but I want to give it a try, Thanks for responding, Joy.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I have a box of assorted cotton thread seperted from my silks and polyester. I will look to see if I have any white and come back. I noticee my colored cottons do breaak very easily,again,I will ck all my cotton wooden spools.

11. spirit-of-shiloh

RATS.I dug up a box full of wooden spools of cotton threads but a rainbow of colors, these are all I could find for the moment. Only one stark white and the other two a crem/egg shell white. I have light pinks and very light grey too. I will look tomorrow in other nooks. If you want these I don't want anything in return. The spools are very strong as I pulled on the threads very hard.
    phpVs5j11PM.jpg phpTAHyYyPM.jpg phpiZGL5yPM.jpg

afantiques likes this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Thank you Shiloh !!! those look great and useable, even the off white colors will work as some of these old cotton items have turned an "aged" white, how kind of you all to respond to my wants like this :). Joy.

13. spirit-of-shiloh

Hold on while I get the othe light colors to see if you can use them. Back in a bit. Also message me your addy so I can ship them to you.

14. spirit-of-shiloh

Are these too dark for you? I will still look tomorrow for more white. These wooden spools do not say cotten,just merceriz. phpHKzQpzAM.jpg phpl0El4JAM.jpg ed

15. Christmasjoy

Shiloh, how do I "message" you ? Also, I am in Canada and need to send you shipping costs, could you message me first as I don't know how to do it, Joy.

16. spirit-of-shiloh

Sure, my stupid Time Warner is acting up so if you don't hear from me then know its the cable co. and I will get back to you ASAP, I started a conversation. Look on the top of the right hand page and you will see ALERTS, click on it and you will see it :) Also open IN BOX if you dont get an alert.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  17. Christmasjoy

I opened the INBOX and replied Shiloh, Joy.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  18. Christmasjoy

I am pressing the "like" button on the replies to everyone that replied to me, now it says "unlike .. how do I get rid of the "unlike" sorry, I'm computer stupid when it comes to some features, Joy.

19. Christmasjoy

I'm going to have to just leave the buttons alone, I don't know what I'm doing :( Joy.

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Joy, The "Unlike" is to remove a "Like." For example, if you accidentally clicked Like, or decided you didn't want to click Like. There is no need to bother with it if you want to keep the Likes there.

gregsglass and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted