Featured Old Wool Rug....but is it a Good Old Wool Rug ...?????

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by komokwa, Sep 29, 2019.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I often try to help with old rugs, but this time I'll rely on other eyes and expertise.
    W5 Please....
    Who What Where When & Why.......

Dad said he paid a lot for it in the 8o's, & that it was old.

It's in excellent condition & someone thought enuf of it to add an newer fringe ..even though the original fringe is mostly still there.
    I can't say if the tag relates to the fringe...a cleaner...or dealer...or what ?
    It's not huge at only 60 x 42 inches approx.
    It's a nice soft wool...& the reverse is highly crisp & detailed.
    Any help would be greatly welcomed !! :)

IMG_6252.JPG IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6256.JPG

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I'd say Turkmen Boukhara, but this is only a gut guess!;)
    Perhaps to use under a saddle:)
    @Any Jewelry?

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Kilim? I remember there was a big fad for them in the 80s.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I didn't go past that page, but looks like they recondition & dye patterned rugs so that they become nearly monochromatic, with the lines of the design showing through. At least, looks like that's what the process is. Maybe they also deal/dealt in rugs that have not undergone it.

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To me, and I'm not an expert, your rug looks to have nice age to it with no extra dyeing! What a neat (& nice!) way to add new fringe and yet preserve the original fringe...so if it IS valuable, they haven't destroyed the value.....maybe someone did it that way knowingly!! You can see some age wear in the edge binding in the 2nd and 5th pictures down.....but nowhere else!! Why not take it to a couple of dealers and see what they say....you may not be interested in selling, but they don't have to know that....maybe suggest you want/need an insurance value??? It's very nice!!

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Boukhara is a very reasonable guess, not kilim since it has pile on the face and not flat weave. The underside colors are wonderful and little wear, so it has "some age" but has never had rough treatment or heavy traffic. Maybe 1950's?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Company wasn't founded until 1952.

Debora

9. Aquitaine

So, if they DID use that process on your rug, Komo, they did a darn NICE job of it!!!!!

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice rug K! - I think this could be called a Tekke?

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Very attractive rug. Thanks for the good pictures. Can't help with maker, but agree it seems to have some age. Hopefully someone can nail this one down.

Love the colors on this rug.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Aquitaine, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I would have said 1960s. I don't know whether this is "official" or not, but my understanding is that the scale for what is and what is not an antique when it comes to rugs is different than anything else, presumably because rugs are walked on and become worn as a matter of course.

SO......what I've heard is that rugs over 50 years old may be considered to be "antique," in contrast to, for example, furniture, which usually has to be over 100 years old (minimum) to get the same consideration.

In other words, this rug could be a genuine antique, and a beautiful one it is!

Figtree3, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

When I bought my first one, the dealer said that at 50yrs it was "semi-antique" and that was back in the early 70's in central Pennsylvania.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

I which case , I would have to presume that the rug was considerably older , once they got their hands on it...! No ?

Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  15. komokwa

You can see some age wear in the edge binding in the 2nd and 5th pictures down.....but nowhere else!!...

That's the same wear.....only that one part.

but....the original fringe..... seems to be worn....or degraded ...much more severely than the rug itself...???

Aquitaine, Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I am not knowledgeable about rugs; I just started studying the subject over the last few years in order to purchase. I noticed some similar motifs in Baluch rugs - though not the same motifs. Here is an example Notice the row of the small red and black house shapes edged in white in both rugs. It is just a possible line of inquiry if you don't get a definitive answer. A few things struck me - they are nomads and don't produce large rugs; they leave a long edge before the fringe; and they use white thread to call out motifs. I could be completely wet though, so take this only as an effort to give you a line of inquiry.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Ghopper1924, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice rug -- and there is a lot of information available on the website that @KikoBlueEyes translated. Look under History and also under About, if you haven't done that yet. It sounds like their Rofix process involves the reconditioning to a soft and even surface. From what I gathered from the website, the dyeing is not always involved with the Rofix process. Or at least, it's not mentioned as part of the process in the interview with Mr. Kiskan that is on the About page.

Ghopper1924, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I, for one, certainly don't think rug older than mid-19th century. Company was large-scale rug importer not antique rug dealer. Catering to bourgeois German taste in the post-World War II years.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Correction. (Those pesky centuries!) I think rug is mid-20th century. New. Not old. Apologies for confusion.

Debora

20. Aquitaine

For whatever reason, fringe ALWAYS seems to wear out FIRST!!!!! Maybe in our house it's the vacuuming that does it..................?

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted