Featured Older Christmas ornaments -- paper-like construction

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I know this has seen better days, but felt it was quite old. At first I thought it was a sheep or something, but DH pointed out it has a horse-like tail. So horse, maybe? Missing one leg, missing an ear, glass eyes, came with this red ribbon and taped up like this. Was in a box of ornaments at an estate sale. Faded stocking in same box.

What can you tell me. Would these be German? 19C?

sheep3.jpg sheep4.jpg sheep6.jpg sheep55.jpg sheep7.jpg sheep8.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love the horse Lucille. I would say yes to being from Germany, spun cotton, early 1900s, the boot/stocking was probably a candy container and later, looks 1930s-40s:)
    New 'old' spun cotton ornaments are being made (in Russia?) but these look to be 'real' ones.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Lucille.b

Great, thank you for the help!

Also good to know they are still being made. I suspect this one is older, just based on the fact they kept it --even with only 3 legs, and based on the type of items at the sale, mostly older from an someone who collected antiques.

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I love your little critter, whatever he/she may be! In many ways, it reminds me of the 1920's/1930's German "Putz" composition nativity sheep, although it doesn't have the more common "stick legs". (If you look up German stick leg sheep, you'll find many of them.) A number of those sheep also had rather long, un-docked tails, too, but they tended to be flatter and less horse-like (or horse-hair-like) than the tail on yours. They used to come with paper collars, some of which actually said GERMANY on them. Here's one of mine:
    img0 (3).jpg
    The tail:
    img0 (2).jpg

There were also horses, donkeys, cows and more, made in a similar way. Here's one of the horses:
    img0.jpg

The head on yours seems more sheep-like to me, but the stance is more horse-like. I honestly don't know which yours is - other than adorable!

p.s. I absolutely LOVE that little boot, too!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Those are great, SBSVC. Thanks for sharing photos.

Will do some additional research. I think they will go on my tree for now. At least the horse/sheep fellow.

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That boot is a pre-cursor to Uggs, I love it.

SBSVC and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted