Featured Older painting or maybe pastel? I want to donate --or try to sell for $20

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, May 15, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Permission to donate or try to sell this for $20? I got it at an estate sale for $5, it was so dirty on the glass, you couldn't even see the image. It cleaned up pretty well, but not exactly sure if this was a decorator piece or what, and now I'm tripping over it so it has to go.

I am ready to list on Craigslist for $20, but certainly could ask for more--what do you think? No signature. Not even sure exactly what the medium is, pastel?

Paint on the frame is chipping. Did someone color gold over pink? (See last photo.) Can't imagine the frame as pink. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

p11.jpg

Here's 2 close ups, a bit hard to see from the reflection on the glass. Pastel??
    pic3.jpg
    p44.jpg

Whole thing again:

p1.jpg

No info on the back other than it was somewhat professionally framed with brown paper. It had this stamp. This business is long since closed:

p55.jpg

p9.jpg

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I like it Lucille, much nicer than a factory painting, the colours are beautiful, you don't see that in factory types

Any Jewelry, judy, Born2it and 3 others like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I like it, too!
    Take it outta that frame (which discard), roll it & ship it in a tube. Framed glass almost never survives the tender mercies of the USPS.
    Forgive me if this is a forbidden place to make an offer, Lucille, but I'll give you $25 for it. Somewhere on this forum may be a way to PM between users. I'll respond, promptly!

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Lucille.b

It's nice in a way -- I agree. I think my photo makes it look even a bit better than real life (not sure why.) Maybe you see less of the frame paint issue.

The light in the sky seems well done. But I'm wondering if it is showing damage in the paint or pastel part, or it looks the way one would expect when viewing the close ups. Just seems sort of spotty or something.

Nobody I know has heard of the store where framed, so not sure if it was just a decorator place or what. I'm not even sure if this is some kind of enhanced print, or pastel or what.

So basically checking here to see if I should do more research, or if if is just a low value item.

I'm not willing to do any work to ship this since I'm saving shipping efforts for more expensive small things--although appreciate the offer.

For future, you can always PM someone by clicking on their name. I think then "start a conversation" shows up. If I change my mind about shipping, I'll let you know, Wlwhittier.

But still curious if it merits more research. Thanks!

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

That’s a William Chandler shop pastel, most are signed Chandler and a few other names but not all. They were not painted by him but by the artists that worked in his shop. Unmistakable style and composition.

Any Jewelry, judy, KSW and 6 others like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

7. Lucille.b

Thank you, Anund.

judy, KSW and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Nice picture, I like the colors in the sunset. You have to be careful with pastels, especially if you take it out of the frame. Only handle it on the edges or back of the material that it is drawn on. I like the possible association with Chandler, I have seen many over the years. Andrew Gunderson is another favorite pastel artist of mine.

charlie cheswick, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If that's a pastel I'd leave the frame sealed and sell locally. The USPS charges an arm, leg, firstborn and anything else they can grab for shipping decent-sized artwork. And they like to break things, even if packed well. I'm not sure I'd trust the others either; their favorite sport seems to be glass object football.

10. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Looks like a wonderful pastel! I bought an Andrew Gunderson and had it shipped in the frame. Unfortunately, mine wasn't originally framed with offset spacers so the pastel rubbed against the glass. The glass didn't break though. I took it to Hobby Lobby and had it reframed in the original frame with museum glass. While there, I blew off the smudges. See attached- turned out great.

Some tips:

-If you ship yours in frame, I recommend taping the glass to the frame so it doesn't shift.
    -Recommend reframing on acid-free mat board since your backer is probably acidic.
    -If you remove it from the frame and see any smudging, you can try lightly blowing off smudges but do not touch the pastel. You may try a Q-tip lightly to carefully remove any stubborn smudges.
    -Recommend museum glass in general as it almost eliminates any reflection and helps block UV.
    -Recommend offset spacers when framing

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted