Featured Older sterling necklace. Glass? Stone?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Measures 15 1/2 inches. One of the small flowers stamped "Sterling" on the back. Any idea of what to call the material in the setting? Not plastic, possibly glass or stone. Thanks for taking a look.

green1.jpg green1a.jpg green2a.jpg green1d.jpg green1dd.jpg green88.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd have said glass. If so, agate glass. (Google Akro Agate, you'll see what I mean.)

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Whatever....Agate/Glass....still very pretty!!!! Lovin' the color!!!

4. Lucille.b

Thank you both. The glass or whatever has sort of a swirl effect as you can see. Will check into agate glass. I believe it to be an older piece. The sterling setting for each stone is carefully done, and former owner had high quality antique jewelry. This was in my stash for a decade or better, but remember where I got it. I'm actually thinking of posting it as a small fundraiser on Ebay for some current need... Red Cross or Doctors without Borders possibly, so any keywords for the Ebay auction much appreciated.

5. Lucille.b

Ah, just got lucky.

Started thinking, maybe this is Czech?? But then asked myself, was a lot of Czech jewelry done in sterling? So Ebay searched: "Czech glass necklace sterling" and here is one of the first things that came up.

This has a pendant and slightly fancier closure, but clearly very similar with the swirl glass and same exact flowers and same length at 15 1/2".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ar...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    KSW, Any Jewelry, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yeppers. What Bear said. Given that styles took a while to migrate, this could be older than I'd have thought.

KSW, antidiem, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My first thought was Czech glass and I should have said that. With that length, yes, older.

KSW, antidiem, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

KSW, antidiem, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty and stylish, Lucille. Glass like this is more like an art form, so very much appreciated, not only now, but in its day as well.

KSW, antidiem, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it's lovely. I would not have realized from the silver charms that it was so old! Thank you for the identifications.

Lucille.b, i need help and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted