Featured One of 2 Antique Buttons

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi, After cleaning out our parents home several years ago, one of my brothers and I wound up with 2 buttons.....identical.....they look very old, cloisonee (?), very hard to discern what looked to be 3 little blobs of sliver on the side....hopefully the pics will be clear enough... they are each 3 1/2 cm high and 3 cm across. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Sue

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its more enameled as opposed to cloisonné . I once saw a venetian ring on a show that kinda looked like this,so maybe Italian ?

3. Aquitaine

Thanks, funny....we have both been contemplating having them made into rings!! But we've been contemplating a looong time! :smuggrin:

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's an impressive button.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just a little humor the " cans" on the top remind me of Budweiser beer cans.:rolleyes:
    greg

6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I fell in love with the faces.

yourturntoloveit and Pat P like this.
  7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ah...Bud - the only American lager I drink, and in the great American tradition, it must be icy cold..........

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

They're lovely. I'm not an expert, but have sold a fair number of vintage and antique buttons and have several good button books. I don't recall ever seeing a button like this.

For some reason I'm getting a French vibe, but that may be way off base.

If you decide to sell them, they'd probably do very well on eBay.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Unusual. They need to be thoughtfully researched. I cannot make out the marks.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Pat P....I've never done eBay and just the thought of it rattles me to the bones!! And I do think they sort of look French, but haven't researched yet. Have NO clue where our Mom ever found them but she was always finding different, unique and interesting antiques!! And the marks are SO minuscule I wasn't sure they weren't just 'blobs'! Greg....laughed @ your interpretation of the rolls on top....they do sorta look like a very popular beer brand!!! :wacky:
    Edit: Thanks all of you for your input!!
    Sue

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Sue, I've sold thousands of items on eBay and it rattles me to the bones when I let it! :)

If you're able to take closeup shots of the "blobs" we might be able to help make them out. If you haven't taken closeups before, the camera setting with the tulip icon is the one to use.

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I would hold off making them into rings until you establish exactly what these are. I've never seen buttons like this and agree with Trip's suggestion that they thoughtfully researched. They may have some decent value as buttons. I think they are amazing!

13. Messilane

It may be worthwhile to take them to a jewelers and have them check those marks if you can't get a good photo of them.

14. Aquitaine

Thanks Lucille and Messilane....I will NOT be making a ring with mine in any rush!!!! Have held off 12 years so far...:smug: Taking them to a jeweler is a great idea! I'm used to the close-up lens, but the marks REALLY are tiny!!!
    Edit: And I have a couple of pretty good loupes, but they're not helping much!!!! So, it's probably off to a jeweler!!

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's one heck of a button !!!

16. Messilane

Thanks to daveydempsey, I bought a microcapture. It's the best thing since sliced bread, or toilet paper!
    I can see, and photograph, the hair on a fly with that thing!

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Why would one want to photograph fly hair ? :eek:

18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Is microcapture software, hardware, or both? I just Googled it, and the results were confusing. :cyclops:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  19. Aquitaine

Pat....I'm wondering the same thing, but after Googling and reading kind of looks like you might need software to run the hardware....unless it comes with it....anyone else have a better clarification???? Thanks again ALL!!!!
    Sue

Pat P likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I think those marks may be Russian. I'm sure those are silver. I'd not alter them in any way.

komokwa and Messilane like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted