One pottery piece and a few more glass pieces, please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Happy!, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help on the other thread, again sorry for the picture quality and no sizing. Though I think these next 2 large bowls are over 10 inches across the top, just from memory.

A. Pottery bowl with a matching smaller bowl shown in Picture 2 below. Cannot make out the mark in Picture 4 below. Is this possibly Homer Laughlin? The bird of paradise and some parts of the mark look familiar.
    DSC00605 400.jpg DSC00603 400.jpg DSC00604 400.jpg DSC00604 400 MARK.jpg
    B. Need an ID on this bowl, plus what is the painted treatment called, please?
    BOWL PAIINTED A.JPG BOWL PAINTED B.JPG
    c. This set is pink depression, I guess, is it called a cordial set and is there an actual pattern name for these? DSC00608 400.jpg
    D. Interesting Clear Bowl, any ideas? DSC00610 400.jpg
    E. Is this more modern? Maker anyone?
    DSC00601 400.jpg DSC00602 400.jpg
    Thank you for your time.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

1st one is not Homer Laughlin. It's shown under Harker Pottery in Lehner's, illustration #8 on pg. 198. The note says it's a very early mark used before 1900 (citation for that statement is E. A Barber pg 105.)

Sandra and Happy! like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The painted glass bowl is called Goofus Glass.
    greg

Sandra and Happy! like this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

D looks like Jacobs Ladder pattern
    Patd

Happy! likes this.
  5. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

I really like the Jacob's Ladder one. Goofus glass, should have remembered that one! That is neat that the first one is prior to the 1900s, surpised. Thanks everyone.

6. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I believe your CHS (center handled server was made by Greensburg Glass Works or by LE Smith, as they purchased the company and their molds during the Depression Era. The tray is shown on a catalog reprint page just after the section on LE Smith, in HMW2. The page has a heading of Greensburg Glass at the top. Chat about has the tray as LE Smith, but notes the mold was one acquired from Greensburg

I don't think the glasses are original to the tray, the shape looks much newer.

http://www.chataboutdg.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=4931&mode=search

Happy! likes this.
  7. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thanks MsGood, interesting history, I am learning a lot here! I see some of the trays on eBay, but they don't have the indentations for the glasses that our's has. I cannot tell if the green one you showed has them. Is that just a variation?

8. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

They would have come both ways to be used for different purposes.

Happy! likes this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Whatever you do be careful cleaning the Goofus Glass piece or you will end up with a clear glass bowl.

Happy! likes this.
  10. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

MsGood: makes sense.
    Bercrystal: thanks! A closer look on the Goofus glass shows many areas where the paint is worn off, so probably won't attempt a cleaning at all. Kind of tired and worn looking (like me, lol).

Draft saved Draft deleted