Featured One side iridescent

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Zephyr, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Today I went to one of many antique stores in Columbia, PA and found this Fenton "Holly" bowl and it is not iridized on the front. Is this a normal version or a mistake? Does this affect the value? I can't find information about it in ddoty or any of my books.

HollyFront.jpg HollyBack.jpg

2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Guessing it was a mistake. But I like the bowl. I would have bought it too.

Mistakes can sometimes be worth more than the real thing. In this case, I really don't know. But I would think that collectors of carnival glass want carnival not plain. So worth less than a regular green one would be my vote.

judy, Zephyr and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

The front looks to be iridized, but weakly. It is hard to tell from a photo. Over all the iridizing is poor and will be a hard sell on line. . This is a common pattern in a common color and with the poor iridizing, and with the cost of shipping you won't find many takers. However, I have been wrong before and will be again.

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is pretty.

Zephyr and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

No idea, but just wanted to wave "hello" from a fellow Pennsylvanian. :)

judy, Zephyr and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I watched it carefully and it has a poor iridescent layer in a silver tone. I bought it for my personal collection and I don't think I will sell it in the future because for me it's very pretty and in tune with its Christmas name haha I like unusual things :joyful:

judy and Jivvy like this.
  7. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I like that it looks different. Maybe poorly iridized but beautiful :)

8. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Yes, I really love how it looks :)

judy likes this.
  9. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Hi, thanks for the greeting. We have many antique stores in PA. Near my house there are about 10 and it's wonderful :joyful:

tie.dye.cat and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I found one exactly like mine sold on carnivalglass.com

Screenshot_1.jpg

judy, UncleChuckTX and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Fenton rarely wasted anything if they could help it and they also experimented quite a bit. Yours is an early piece but in later years they ran many of their experimental, seconds, and odds and ends through their gift shop. In my opinion, $30 is about right but it will take awhile to sell. And Brazos is correct - shipping will be a killer. I would sell through a mall showcase or a consignment shop if possible. Now would be the time. It makes a lovely Christmas item.
    Don

Zephyr and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted