ONLINE ESTATE AUCTION - LARGE MID CEN. GIRL PORTRAIT BY CORTES w/HOLE WORTH SAVING?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 28, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I won some paintings in a online estate auction which I didn't expect to win (the winning bid for all was only $27!) - and I need help identifying 2 & help with deciding if a third is worth saving?

Taking the last first - because the artist's name on that one & the actual beauty of the painting is why I bid at all - is a Beautiful mid century(?) portrait of a young girl signed Cortes that has a small hole in it - is it worth repairing?

The next one I need help with is a portrait (I think; may be just a figment of artist's mind?) of a lady - can anyone make out the artist's name or know who it is?

Finally, the third one is the best - I think - it is of some Mediterranean(?) boys - two are playing dice (1 has a shoe with no sole!), while another is eating something as a puppy stares longingly at him.
    I have 2 questions on it - I thought it was also a oil on canvas when I felt it, but when I turned it around it looks like foam board! Would it have been painted on foam board (which means it's not as old as the others)? And this one is not signed that I could find - is this one factory art?! (note: it IS a painting; you can feel it easily enough - would someone paint a whole foam board as a base to paint a painting on?)

Any help (and thoughts) would be greatly appreciated

PS - I also got 2 smaller paintings in the deal of smart young ladies that are signed Cantelli '71 - but my camera's batteries died so I will post those later!

ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 GIRL POTRAIT CORTES  AAzz.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 GIRL POTRAIT CORTES  BA.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 GIRL POTRAIT CORTES  CAzz.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 GIRL POTRAIT CORTES  DAzz.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 1  AA ZZ.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 1  CA.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 BOYS  BA.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 BOYS  CA.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 BOYS  DA.JPG ART PAINTING AUCTION MAXBID 2 BOYS  EA.JPG

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is after a famous painting by Spanish painter Bartolomé Esteban Murillo.

[​IMG]

The original is now in Munich, Germany.
    Here is something on the social background of the original painting:
    https://www.andrewgrahamdixon.com/a...laying-dice-by-bartolome-esteban-murillo.html

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think the first picture is worth repairing unless you're going to do it yourself. Even if you do that, it's simply not a very good portrait (IMO). Cropping might improve it marginally, but I don't see how you could do that without losing those flowers.

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I think your right - the signature is a match!

i need help and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure there really was a Cortés Matas. Nothing about him on the internet except his signature on paintings sold to U.S. service personnel based in Spain.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted