Only joined today and already addicted. Hi from a new member.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gentlefern, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

Hi to anyone reading this. I'm an absolute beginner at collectables, but this seems such a friendly and helpful place to be I thought I'd take the plunge.

I'm Karen and I live close to the small town of Pontardawe in the Swansea Valley. I am just turned 55 and I live with my son who is nearly 18.

I broke my back last October and I'm still recovering, so I'm mostly housebound at the moment. Not too much of a disaster as so are a lot of other people!

I used to sell Curry and Herb kits, Postcards and Ladybird books on Ebay many years ago just to help make ends meet.

My main interests are Biological recording, observing wildlife, reading and anything else that catches my interest. I love charity shops and car boots, but what with lock-down and my limited mobility that isn't happening at the moment.

I'm pretty strapped for cash and starting mooching around on Ebay to see what was selling at the moment. I've got a few odd bits and pieces of pottery, pin badges, postcards and ladybird books. But I've become fascinated with pottery since trying to identify the bits and pieces I've got.

It was trying to sort out the backstamp on a couple of my plates which indirectly lead me to this forum. It seems so friendly and helpful I thought I'd like to join. I only joined a few hours ago and have mooched through some of the threads on here. It's absolutely fascinating.

Well that's me and who I am. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you.

Cheers, Karen.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

Many thanks, I'm a bit behind the times with using forums etc so I'm struggling to sort my profile out. I just tried to make an avatar and I already need a lie down. :)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Karen, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!! Happy you decided to join in the fun!!

Christmasjoy, judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The site reduces many of us to prostration. Welcome, Karen. Since you like botanical & nature observation, do you have any idea of what this flowering vine is?

Holly and flower adj.JPG

It was taking over a holly bush in the Bronx Zoo.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Howdy, Karen, and welcome!

Debora

Christmasjoy, Gentlefern and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Karen!

@Bronwen That looks like a Passion Flower.

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Karen!

Welcome to Antiquers............:cat:

Your enthusiasm is delightful........the broken back has not broken your spirit!

Christmasjoy, Gentlefern and Bronwen like this.
  9. Aquitaine

By Jove, @Bronwen, Google says Karen's RIGHT :singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::hilarious::hilarious:

Passion Flower:
    Passion Flower.jpg

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

So is @Bakersgma. (Thank you.) Somehow, guess because of the steamy name, I always thought they were tropical & did not expect to see one here. I even have a Portmeirion bowl with a big passion flower on it & didn't recognize.

bluumz, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Sorry, @Bakersgma, truly didn't see that you beat me to it!!!:wacky::wacky:

13. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi, Karen! Not that there's ever a 'good' time to break your back, but if there ever was one, it would be in 2020 :)!

Hope you like it here.

14. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

Hi there Bronwen, It was lovely to hear from you. That's a fine Welsh name. One of my best friends at school was a girl called Bronwen. She played the clarinet in our orchestra.

As to your flower, it's a fabulous picture and my initial thought is some sort of passion flower. I'll have a look and see if I can come up with something more definite. I love a research project. As I live in Wales UK, I only have field guides for British flowering plants, but I'm sure there are plenty of resources available for identification.

I'll get back to you later.

Kind regards, Karen.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  16. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

Hi there Judy,

I'm lucky because I was within mm's of being paralysed, so that's a very big positive for me. Plus, my house backs onto an ancient woodland and I have plenty of wildlife to observe in my garden and out of my bedroom window. Be careful though, I could bore you for hours with birds, insects and all things outdoors :)

18. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

19. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

ha ha ha Sabre, that is and has been my mantra since lock-down happened. It was a good year to be housebound and by the time lock down came around I'd got the hang of being stuck at home.

20. Gentlefern

Gentlefern New Member

I can see my typing is going to have to speed up a bit. But thank you everyone. What a lovely welcome. I'm so glad I signed up. You've all put a big, happy smile on my face. x

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted