Featured Opal ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Cristie, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Cristie

Cristie New Member

Hoping to learn more about an opal ring I inherited from My grandmother. I am completely new to all things antique. What I DO know about the ring. It was passed on to my Grandmother in 1963, so it is at least that old. There are no marks on the band or elsewhere that I could find. Any information on the design and possible age would be amazing.

Attached Files:

Vintage Maven, KSW, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Beautiful ring! Do us a favor, if it's not to late to edit your post. We'd like to have the photos full size. You can do this by using Edit, then Other Options, tick off full size. You can do all at once from the top check box.

i need help, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd guess it wasn't too old when she got it. Nice opal in that!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Semi crystal or light white,good color flash.Can you put a piece of news print below the opal and read the letters? The ring shank appears to have been sized and maybe the maker's marks removed in the process.

i need help, KSW, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Cristie, gorgeous ring. Given the age, the opal is most likely Australian.
    The opal mining town of Lightning Ridge in New South Wales is the best known source of Australian crystal opals, so the stone could have been mined there.
    The surrounding stones are probably diamonds, mounted in white gold to set off the white colour, but it is best to have them tested.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    i need help, komokwa, KSW and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted