Featured Opalescent white enamel, silver cigarettes case bearing FABERGE mark.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kyratango, Jan 27, 2018.

?

FABERGE?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hi all:)
    I just got this, paid 30€ for it:joyful:
    Seller said nothing about the marks, I had the surprise to discover it bears the head of woman/84 hallmark, together with K.FABERGE in Cyrillic, and what seems to be a double headed eagle punch without outline. 20180127_151418.jpg
    20180127_152548.jpg 20180127_152603.jpg Resized_20180127_152642001.jpeg dimensions are 3" by 2.5/8" (7.7cm by 6.6cm)
    A heavy 108 grams.
    I'm quite puzzled with the marks, K FABERGE in Cyrillic indicate Moscow, the double headed eagle should have an outline...
    The woman head/84 zolotnik in an oval outline is for Kostroma, 1908/1926...

I doubt it is an actual Faberge piece, the enamel is well done, but thick, as the silver, hence the weight:bored:

But why going to fake an unexpensive item:banghead:

So, asking for your opinions:rolleyes::)

Asian Fever, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not seeing Faberge quality, and the mark looks a bit ragged.

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love it,but the pitted silver has me looking askance. I cant imagine Faberge letting that out of their shop.But I could be wrong.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I didn't read the whole page, but this paragraph seems to answer some of you concerns.

Because the Fabergé hallmarks are well known and have been extensively published, you can't rely on them solely to confirm authenticity. However, they can help you dismiss some fakes. Often the forgers only have a limited number of punches, so you will sometimes see strange combinations such as the mark of the Moscow branch in conjunction with a St. Petersburg workmaster's initials, or a state hallmark from 1908-1917 along with the initials of a workmaster who died prior to that time. It is not always that easy to judge, however. One thing to remember is that the real pieces were almost always hallmarked before the item was finished. Imagine applying a punch to the gold edge of a picture frame after the enamel was fired….it would almost certainly cause irreparable damage. So in many cases, the real hallmarks are partially obliterated in the finishing of the piece, leaving just the faint trace of the name of the firm or the initials of the workmaster. Remember that hallmarking was a legal obligation, not something that was done to confirm authenticity 100 years down the road.The producers of the fake items often make their marks too good, and that should be something to watch for as well.

http://www.kfaberge.com/how to spot a Faberge fake.html

5. kyratango

I agree Fabergé quality isn't here!
    The "pitted" silver is the finish of the inside, kind of heavy frosting:bucktooth:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. kyratango

Thanks! I read this in a hurry too :nailbiting:
    Found this too, to add to confusing!
    http://fabergeresearch.com/workmasters/

7. clutteredcloset49

8. clutteredcloset49

Just wanted to say, even though the quality for Faberge isn't there, it is still a pretty cigarette case.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

Thank you Debora for taking the time to search:)
    I totally agree the quality isn't there, and I paid only 30€:rolleyes::

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You got a bargain, it is very pretty.
    But I agree, a fake Fabergé mark. The seller didn't pretend it was real Fabergé, so you weren't conned.
    I can't see a district mark in the kokoshnik mark, so I can't say for certain it was assayed in Kostroma. The oval was used elsewhere as well.
    A lovely cigarette case, and just another nice story to tell when you're entertaining guests.;)

judy, bobsyouruncle, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. kyratango

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

judy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted