Featured Opaline Kingfisher Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ghopper1924, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey all:

This vase has been in my wife's family since at least ca. 1900 here in the midwestern U.S.. It is opaque white glass painted yellow. The kingfisher, which is of a type not found in North America, seems to be a transfer, while the blooms and branches are hand painted. There is a gold gilt ring around the top, slightly worn. The vase is 8" tall by 5" at its widest, with a concave polished pontil on the otherwise unmarked and unsigned base.

I know my wife's great aunt traveled in Europe in the early 20th century, and she may have bought it in France.

Otherwise, any feelings on country and year of origin? I'm thinking $200 replacement value?

Thanks friends!

P1010187.JPG P1010188.JPG P1010189.JPG

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

What a beautiful piece! Unusual to see a Kingfisher in my experience. I saw a lovely pitcher and bowl not long ago with a Kingfisher motif that tempted me but they were not realistic on the asking price. Sorry I have no info, just wanted to tell you I love it!

3. Ghopper1924

Thanks. It's a beauty alright!

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is probably the common kingfisher, one of my favourite birds, amazing little flyers.
    [​IMG]
    I am glad to say their numbers are increasing here in the Netherlands. Not that this is helping you, sorry, someone else will probably know more about the vase.
    Here is a map of the common kingfisher's distribution, which doesn't really help in narrowing the manufacture down to a specific country either.
    [​IMG]

5. Ghopper1924

Thanks A.J. It certainly looks like the right bird. I'd say that it makes it likely that the vase was made in Europe or Asia, but not the Western Hemisphere.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm actually wondering if it might be the Malachite Kingfisher, native to Africa. I did just want to mention that there are kingfishers in North America. I think the closest of those to your vase might be the Green Kingfisher.

Anyway here is what wikipedia has as the Malachite.
    [​IMG]

7. Ghopper1924

Hmmm, could be.....or it might just be an abstraction based on several species of kingfishers. :) I've seen the two in North America. Central America has quite a few more, all fitting neatly into their own micro-ecosystems.

Does anyone have any feelings or knowledge re: the vase?

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The design reminds me of the Aesthetic/Japanesque designs of the late 1800's. Prunus twigs and picture in a circular cartouche.

Any Jewelry, SBSVC and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Ghopper1924

Say_it_slowly, I think you've got something! That vase is very similar to mine, including the twig, flower, and cartouche theme. Your article says Baccarat! Bakersgma is right on with the aesthetic/Japonisme reference. The article says these vases date from about 1870-1900.

So the next question is: would replacement value be at $200 or so? Or...dare I say it.....more??

judy and SBSVC like this.
  11. buyingtime777

I noted in the article in say_it_slowly's post from Collectors Weekly that Smith Bros in the states were making a similar style at the same time as Baccarat but I can't seem to find any pictures of examples. I noticed that the Baccarat pieces seem to have a number on the bottom so maybe a Smith Bros? I find it odd I can't find any pictures though....

judy, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. buyingtime777

As for the value I wouldn't be shocked to see it offered for $200.00. I may even be tempted to buy it at that price if I saw it. That is all merely conjecture on my part though.

judy, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I know nothing, except that I think that vase is lovely! (And AJ & SIS, the birds in those photos are absolutely delightful! I wish I had some outside my window!)

Anyway, I never would have thought of Baccarat here. Wow. Very, very cool!

After SIS posted her photos of the gorgeous pink vases, I found these online, too:

img0 (283).jpg img0 (284).jpg

Both Baccarat. Wow, again.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/430304939369164832/
    -and-
    http://www.under1roof.design/furnishings.html

My question: is $200 enough???

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

16. Ghopper1924

Thanks everyone. Good answers! I think the red numbers on the bottom of Baccarat pieces were occasional, not universal. I browsed for Czech and Bohemian opaline vases, but found nothing with this form.

SBSVC and judy like this.
  17. Ghopper1924

I consulted an appraisal of household goods from my wife's family from 1978, and the vase was mentioned! It's called a "hand-painted medallion vase" and the words "mignon" and "beehive" were mentioned. I suspect the latter refers to the shape? Sadly, no year or country of origin. Back then the vase was valued at $160.

Aquitaine, SBSVC, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't help on your vase except to say that it is absolutely LOVELY, which of course, you already know!!!!!!:):):):)

19. Ghopper1924

Awesome, thanks!

20. crow&tome

crow&tome New Member

One just came up at auction near me with an appraisal note from 1990 (hand written so take that as you will) that dates it from mid to late 1800s, says it's English Bristol glass, and gives it a value of $400. Better late than never as they say ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted