Open Salts Overload - Feeling lucky

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Jul 7, 2015.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

You guys have been so helpful, I have a few more, then I'm done.

#1. Blue shoe - 5 inches long
    Salts 3-3.jpg Salts 3-4.jpg
    #2. Minis - Are these possibly George Duncan & Sons? that flatter toe is hard to find. Salts 3.jpg
    #1. Swan - base looks old - hand finished, low pitched ring 5 inches tall Salts 3-8.jpg Salts 3-9.jpg Salts 3-10.jpg

#4. Mid Century Italian? not a salt - ashtray (there were some un-salts in there)
    20150707_094612.jpg 20150707_094631.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. scoutshouse

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The #1 swan is rubbish and you should send it to my Mom right away so she can dispose of it properly....

salts-mom-1a.jpg

Again, should take some IDs and values in salt books with a grain of salt (punny, huh?), but there is a similar table salt in cobalt in 'The Open Salts Compendium', page 69, plate 199, described as, "Cobalt blown glass swan on very heavy pedestal base, vertical pressed lines on sides to give winged appearance, 3" square lemon squeezer base, flint glass with many bubbles, bits of stone, and swirls of deeper color when examined using loupe, possibly Pairpoint and early, 5.75" h. x 4" w., rare, $225 (also known in a smaller size, 4.75" x 2.25" w., rare, $150)"

Another seen here, not quite halfway down: http://www.vaselineglass.org/toyglass.html

saltswanpage69compendium.jpg

~Cheryl

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

The top and bottom of the foot is polished, not very uniformly, but shows the quality of the glass which does look old to me. Seems very close to the linked samples - it's 5" tall, as well.

THANK YOU, DW (and everyone who's taking the time to chime in)! My main concern is that something great doesn't slip by, since I don't have consistent experience with antique porcelain or glassware, let alone salts! It is overwhelming. I've been pleasantly surprised to find the quality of the group, overall, is so good - I'm glad I asked here.

These will likely be used at special sales, so knowing many of them are authentic really helps with pricing. If at an estate sale, they'd be on view for such a short time and be discounted so quickly, it might not justify as much time spent in research. I put a lot of pressure on myself, bc I know I'm not super-efficient. :)

20150707_124959.jpg 20150707_125046.jpg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My main concern is that something great doesn't slip by,

& if something should.......that'd pretty much make you human like the rest of us !! :p:p:p

6. scoutshouse

I hate that :nailbiting:

(I meant the quality of the salts, but this group is pretty nice, too! haha)

I do get to learn about and appreciate things I'd normally never be interested in.

komokwa and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted