Opinions on a shawl please

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Ownedbybear, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I grabbed a couple of shawls and scarves yesterday, a whole ten pence each. One is a very nice vintage Indian stole - I've one similar which Ma bought in the sixties. That's the blue one and it looks unworn. Hand made fringe.

The other is interesting. Looks to be either a hand sewn edge or done with a much older machine. Hand knotted fringe, too. The colour is more a deep red than it looks. A90C (2).jpg A90A (2).jpg A90D.jpg A89D.jpg A89B.jpg A89C.jpg A89A (2).jpg A90B (2).jpg
    Thoughts on age?
    Ta!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The red one is from the Minho lavradeira costume, northern Portugal.
    These ladies are from Viana do Castelo, one of the main towns in the Minho.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    bluumz likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The Indian one looks new-ish. Not sure about the other. It's a traditional design, so you've got me.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure the Indian one is sixties or so, it's nigh on identical to Ma's one. It's in perfect nick, the nice lady was clearing out her mum's unworn stuff.

AJ, thanks most much. Portugal hadn't ocurred to me. Mine looks identical. Apparently, the owner had travelled like mad and brought Stuff home.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have my mother's Indian shawl from the 60s. She only wore it a couple of times, and it still looks brand new. I wore it once, it is so beautiful, all cream and gold.
    My kind of person.:happy:
    I have a complete Minho costume, including embroidered slippers and filigree jewellery, with the famous Viana heart of course.:)

kyratango and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted