Opinions on this barrel W.H. Hutchinson & Son Inc Bottle Caps Coca Cola

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brywil1970, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

OK got this barrel today. It is 23" tall and 18 5/8" across. I guess my question is "is this what it appears to be?". To me I would say this is a shipping barrel from W.H. Hutchinson & Son which would have been full of bottle caps matching the Coca Cola cap nailed to the top. Would you agree and do you think this barrel would be desirable. I know people collect bottle caps and Coca Cola stuff I would think this would be a unique piece for either of those collectors.

TIA, Bryan

DSC_0165 (533x800) (400x600).jpg

DSC_0167 (600x400).jpg

Attached Files:

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Unless its got COKE painted on it, which I don't think it does so...I doubt it but>
    http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=1006358

3. Brywil1970

Would it not make since to just nail an example of what was in the barrel to the top?

4. KingofThings

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Brywil1970

yeah I saw that but was more interested just to see if anyone else thought it could have been filled with Coca Cola caps

6. KingofThings

Possible they were shipped to them that way I suppose. someone else may now for surely there's a Coke head here. ;)

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bryan, I don't know if it was filled with Coca-Cola bottle caps but I did read the history of the company and that it had business dealings with Coca-Cola way back when.

I'm fascinated with the container. Wow -- it says "100 GR bottle caps" -- I presume that means 100 gross so that would be 14,400 bottle caps all going to one place (whatever place that may have been) if you're correct about it being a shipping barrel as opposed to a storage barrel (perhaps before the bottle caps are printed with a particular company's logo).;)

It's a very interesting item.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

cxgirl, quirkygirl, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Super find, Lauragarnet, on the information in the link you provided. ;)

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  10. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Here's a sold W H HUTCHINSON barrel/drum from a couple months ago on ebay. Also has a Coke bottle cap nailed to lid.
    It's in better shape than your's, but at least it's a comparable for you.
    coca cola bottle cap barrel H.W. Elson botteling works Ishpeming Michigan
    Ended:Apr 01, 2015 Sold for:US $199.00
    eBay item number:291404340506
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/coca-cola-b...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

11. Brywil1970

Thanks for the help everyone

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted