Featured Opinions wanted- brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Jun 6, 2019.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

015E1A28-104F-438D-B427-AF0EEE27BB06.jpeg 1CE7798A-9052-4A8B-BC50-FC77722EBB48.jpeg 4B1E2689-2840-4D05-9FC1-6E51876D7333.jpeg Here’s one that I’m eyeballing currently. I think it is silver, the seller said the pin is not original but the clasp is. They think it’s Scottish because of the design. The stone is amethyst.

Is this more of a “vintage” or newer item? I don’t believe it’s antique.

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've got one very similar to this that isn't silver but that's not to say yours isn't!

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That looks like a green/corrosion spot on the back. Be sure to test this if you're going to list it. It's definitely a Scottish design, right down to the rose in the center. The pin, btw, is definitely a replacement. That tube hinge pin thing could mean this is Victorian, but the Scandinavians still use them sometimes on traditional pieces so... dunno.

5. BMRT

List it? What do you mean?

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Evelyb thinks you might be going to sell it.
    This is the area that makes her think it isn't sterling, and I agree.
    upload_2019-6-6_15-29-22.png

7. BMRT

Ah, gotcha. No, I buy for me.:cat:

If the consensus is this is probably not silver I’ll have to pass this time. I have enough costume jewelry as it is.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i say pass.....for the replacement pin alone...........

Christmasjoy and BMRT like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Need better and in focus of the front,looks like it's hand engraved and base metal wouldn't be worth the time to hand engrave.

10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

If Hollyblue thinks it might be hand engraved, then please get some better pictures. You'll get an expert opinion that way.

11. BMRT

@Hollyblue These are the only others available that don’t look like they had been taken with a potato. AD36B382-0735-450E-9384-993F5CE8D5A0.jpeg BCFF5116-D174-4A84-9A5F-3A1F43DB9B49.jpeg

12. Hollyblue

It was hand engraved,if it were die stamped all of the diamond shaped areas and tops of the thistles would be the same.You can also see a number of mistakes/slips made by the engraver.

13. BMRT

So there’s a good chance this isn’t a base metal?

14. Hollyblue

Can't be positive about the metal from the photo,it looks to be a little over 2 inches in diameter,the carved amethyst and the amount of time for the engraving would not be on a "costume" jewelry piece.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can't help thinking it looks dull, like pewter...... but , y'know...photo's...:confused::confused:

BMRT likes this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3176C447-0719-4BC5-867B-77CA0287879E.jpeg It’s hard to tell what this is.

Christmasjoy and BMRT like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a Scottish plaid brooch, worn to fasten a plaid, or for the ladies a shawl, to the shoulder.
    I love the rose. I am with Holly on that one, why would they put a carved amethyst rose on a costume brooch? Unless it is a marriage?
    Scottish silver is only very rarely unmarked. The verdigris would look odd on sterling silver, maybe it was in contact with a 'lesser' piece with verdigris?
    That replacement pin was a home job.
    Yes, and so do the Scots, like on my John Fraser plaid brooch. The C-clasp was still used occasionally in the 60s, I think.
    John Fraser was an Inverness silversmith 1963-1994. I don't know exactly when mine was made, the marks are worn. At the moment the date letter looks like a kneeling duck on a prayer chair. Haven't found that one in the date letter chart yet.
    upload_2019-6-7_10-21-34.jpeg

Back with tube hinge and contemporary roll-over safety clasp, no C-clasp:
    upload_2019-6-7_10-20-52.jpeg

I know, the back looks grubby, it is still in the clean and catalogue box.:shame:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    komokwa, KikoBlueEyes, BMRT and 2 others like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow that's organised, mine are in the ' can't find a damn thing' Clarks shoebox!

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have so many boxes I lost track of where things are.:shame: So I am in the process of cataloguing them. Somewhat. I now have different boxes for the different continents, and a separate one for China. Well, they have 1.42 billion people, so they need a separate box.:playful:

20. BMRT

That’s your brooch? It’s gorgeous!!

Draft saved Draft deleted