Featured Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Nov 27, 2017.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Had a chance to bid on this painting on ebay as an unknown signed work. I immediately recognized the signature as being Emil Kosa Jr. However, I do not think that the work matches his style. The signature does seem to be inscribed into wet paint but is also not an exact match. His signature did vary quite a bit so it could be OK. Decided to throw a little over $100.00 at it in the hopes it was real. I was the underbidder so lost the auction. Did I make a mistake by not bidding more or was I right to be cautious? His works have sold for over 20K, though prices are down with the market of late.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Impr...YTZ%2BkRic4N4aKqxdRME%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you got red flags
    you bid an amount that wouldn't hurt you
    you don't have it in your hand to look at

OK...so maybe you could have thrown up a $400 bid without missing any meals...
    but the work is rats butt ugly.....and caution was required.....

Move on.....& trust your gut !:happy:

Christmasjoy, wenna, verybrad and 6 others like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. verybrad

Did not see that one. The style is certainly more similar. What really drew red flags for me is the color pallet. His work is generally darker in tone. I am not going to lose any sleep over this but would not be surprised to see this turn up at an auction attributed to him. I could have bid more but would not be surprised if I still would have been outbid. The signature was not that hard to decipher. I actually only stumbled on this with less than an hour left in the auction. Glad I did not get a chance to stew about this for several days...... LOL!

This is the kind of work that California Impressionist collectors love...... Bright pallet, wide valley, with mountains in the distance. The agricultural aspect to it might be considered a bonus to some. While I don't think it the best CA painting ever, I certainly see the charm to it. Even as an unknown artist it could potentially be worth several hundred dollars to the right person. I would not have been hurt by my bid even if it turned out not to be his work.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Did Kosa generally sign his name twice. In the example SIS provided, I see two signatures. On the one you bid on, only one signature.

upload_2017-11-27_7-45-50.png

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I saw that and thought it a little odd but then again it's signed on the back too. Makes it hard to complain about the lack of signature:D

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

verybrad likes this.
  8. komokwa

Well I looked at it again......& maybe it's the butt ugly frame that's getting in the way of my appreciation for the vibrant field colors as they but up against the somber blue hills........but that's just me !

verybrad likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you were right to follow your instincts.

Debora

verybrad likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

His work wasn't as scrappy as this. Much softer lines. I think you made a wise choice

verybrad likes this.
  11. verybrad

Thanks for further validation. I also found it odd that the seller claimed they could not decipher the signature. The seller has a history of selling California art, much of it attributed. Hard to believe that they couldn't figure this one out.

Mill Cove Treasures and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

covering their ass-sets.....

verybrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted