Featured Opinons on flatware hallmarks please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ownedbybear, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bit of a spoonfest yesterday. Am I right in thinking the fork is Gorham? And the 830s Norwegian spoons: closest mark I can find is Thorwald Martinsen. And any ideas on the one with the Delft plaque? Looks like P R and a goats head.

L81E.jpg L81D.jpg L82B.jpg L81G.jpg L81B.jpg L81C.jpg L82C.jpg L82A.jpg L81F.jpg L81A.jpg

kyratango, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The last one, the Gorham fork looks like a Chantilly pattern something. The first mark I'm thinking is a horse head because it appears to have a mane. I did find a question about the mark but no answer on the 925 site so maybe it's something else.

Add: If the Gorham fork is 5½" then probably an ice cream fork. Can't tell if the bowl is gilt or not in your photo but it comes both ways.

https://www.replacements.com/p/gorh...mno-monograms-ice-cream-fork/gs-chan/73693051

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Nice spoons. I not an expert on silver marks but the lion on the last image seems to be heading the wrong way:artist:. Like you I shall await the experts responses with interest.
    Cheers
    Stephen

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, horse's head rather than goat's head.
    The chalice mark does look like Thorwald Martinsen, but they both have the Swedish triple crown mark as well. Norway-Sweden import maybe?

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Sweden and Norway separated in 1905 only, so perhaps earlier fabricated

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Gorham's lion is facing the right way for a pattern from 1895. US maker, not English. They did use a left-facing lion at the very beginning, but switched to right-facing after 1865.
    You must so used to seeing English sterling marks in Oz that the opposite direction looks strange. ;)

Miscstuff likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

9. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I think the Anchor made me think it was Birmingham silver but it must mean something different for US silver.
    Cheers
    Stephen

10. Bakersgma

US maker trademark components on silver don't have a standardized "meaning" like the English system - because we have no "system!" ;)

Mugzinnys likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The Th. Marthinsen pattern is 'Viking Rose', they also bear Swedish import marks.

~Cheryl

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

The 'PR'/horse-head mark is Dutch silverplate, but a quick run through my references and files doesn't find it...

~Cheryl

Mugzinnys and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Brilliant! Many thanks all, very much appreciated.

bakers, I spent a whole $6.50 .;)

Mugzinnys, SBSVC and Bakersgma like this.
  14. DragonflyWink

Had to get to a better screen than my phone - the variant of an apostle spoon, with the cock symbolizing Peter's denial of Jesus, is Dutch silver. The maker's mark is at the base of the twist, the 'sword' standard mark on the rooster's forward foot...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Mugzinnys, kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

ACE! Cheryl, you're a genius.

Mugzinnys likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, @Bakersgma, does the direction the Lion faces just depend on what the Maker chose to do when they made it??? Is that the only significance??? I just did a bunch of reading and wasn't able to get a clear answer other than Left is Passant and Right is Sinister!!!

Mugzinnys likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Mugzinnys and Ownedbybear like this.
  18. Bakersgma

US maker's marks are up to the firm to decide upon, with the only limitation being that it's design cannot legally infringe on another company's registered trademark.

In the UK, the lion passant (which happens to be left-facing) is the official assayer's mark for sterling silver, nothing to do with the maker. Not the same thing at all.

Aquitaine, Mugzinnys and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted