Opium Pillow? Real or Repro

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 5, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I missed you all. I picked up a few things since I came back from South Africa (the only thing I saw old there was elephant dung). Most things I have been able to recognize due to the members' wonderful tutelage. This latest piece has me stumped though. My first searches lead me to opium pillows (very sought after), but I have my doubts about this being an actual antique. The size doesn't seem right (2 1/2" deep X 5 3/4" tall and 5" wide) but I don't know if there was a universal size. It has a hole to store valuables and vent holes. I wasn't able to find any with cut outs shaped like a butterfly though.

It has a red stamp like one supposed antique I found. It is very dirty inside (not dust - dirt), so I think it has been used. Does anyone have an opinion? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6583.jpg IMG_6584.jpg IMG_6592.jpg IMG_6593.jpg IMG_6586.jpg IMG_6580.jpg IMG_6600.JPG

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

@Ce BCA do you have any thoughts about this piece? I would appreciate you looking.

3. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion - probably transfer printed and relatively modern.

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for your perspective. I was examine it closely for transfer s.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful find, Kiko.
    I agree with transfer ware, but I do think it is older, maybe even antique.
    But.... dirt doesn't mean age when it comes to Chinese items.;)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I was looking for more input on these, and I appreciate your comments. I love Asian pieces, but my house is getting too full, so I have to be selective.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Goldfinch 05

Goldfinch 05 New Member

I tend to think this was more modern and not a pillow specifically for opium. A typical opium pillow has a slanted top and made in Shi Wan in Guangdong pillow 2.jpg

Any Jewelry, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you responding. It's always hard to know what to buy, when you are getting things second hand.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted