Featured Opulent Victorian 8k Gold Bangle! Proper fix?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Nov 13, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I found this 8k gold Victorian bangle today for $40. I had it tested with an XRF gun which is how I know it is 8k. Weighs 16.5 grams. Has no markings anywhere. The enamel is pretty well intact and overall decent condition aside from a couple dings and dents. The only thing wrong with it is the latch. It is loose and will not stay closed and ultimately unsafe to wear it! I am going to look into getting it fixed when I can but I am not sure what they will offer to do. What would be the appropriate fix? What if they offer to put one of those latches where it is like a ball and another piece fits over it? Anyhow it's a great piece I am glad to have found. I found another online and they described it as a wedding bangle, is this correct?
    20191112_213445_resized.jpg 20191112_213512_resized.jpg 20191112_213522_resized.jpg 20191112_213535_resized.jpg 20191112_213555_resized.jpg 20191112_213616_resized.jpg 20191112_213634_resized.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    cxgirl, KSW, i need help and 7 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice bangle, spart. It has received a bit of a sideways knock.
    I think you mean an extra safety catch on the side of the bangle, like this:
    [​IMG]

That would be a good idea, if a jeweller thinks it is possible to add. There are also double safety catches, even safer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    KSW, i need help, SBSVC and 5 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A good jeweler might even fix the original. Problem solved.

judy, KSW and i need help like this.
  5. spartcom5

Argh, well even with the XRF results I felt uneasy so I broke out a loupe. Turns out it is gold filled! I can see specks of gold wearing through to a different metal on the very edges of the bangle that are invisible in different kinds of lighting. I will still look into fixing it as I really do like it but will have to see how much it costs.

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The photos are not closeups ,the only discolored areas I see are the solder lines,every thing else is out of focus.

judy likes this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's a shame and disappointing for you but it's still a lovely bracelet.

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This style often is.:(

judy likes this.
  9. spartcom5

Just comes to show the xrf analyzer while $30,000+ isnt always accurate especially with gold filled and should be backed up with other methods such as looking at it very closely or acid testing!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Victorian gold-filled often has wear. That's helpful in determining metal content.

Draft saved Draft deleted