Featured Original Art from late 1800s - How does varnishing (for a repair) change value?

Discussion in 'Art' started by PapaJames, May 19, 2020.

1. PapaJames

PapaJames New Member

We have a original Harold Bell Wright painting from the late 1800s. The painting was repaired in 1992 by previous owner and was finished with a clear varnish.
    The question is how does varnishing a original piece of art change the value?
    The repair was slight.
    It is painted on wood.
    Thank you for your help.
    1.jpg 1 (91).jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The only Harold Bell Wright I can find was a writer, not an author. Are you sure of attribution? Is your painting signed?

Debora

i need help likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Please post up details of the repair, any signature or writings, the varnish in the light, the back and sides, +how large is this?

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. PapaJames

PapaJames New Member

Great question regarding the authenticity of the painting. Harold Bell Wright was a extremely well known author (The Shepherd of the Hills and others) and he was friends with a family by the last name of Taylor. HBW sent the Taylors many letters from the early 1900s until near his death (we have letters as well). In the late 1800s, HBW was recovering from a broken leg in the Taylor home and while in this home completed several paintings. Very few paintings are outside of the Wright family and we could only find one that is actually on loan through the Wright family in the HBW museum in Branson, MO. HBW did not sign all of his art... this was common for HBW.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So he painted this landscape from inside the home? From memory? View from a window? Copying another work? And where was the Taylor home?

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

He was born in 1872 so in late 1880s would still be a teenager.

Debora

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Assuming the repair was done sensitively with removable archival varnish, it should enhance the value of a damaged piece. If any old varnish was slapped on, it remains to be seen.

8. PapaJames

PapaJames New Member

HBW was not well known at the time of this painting so there is no way to answer these questions. It may be common now to know these answers, but this is over 100 years ago and he was not known for art or much of anything else at the time of the paintings. I can contact the Taylor family to learn more about the location. Answering your other questions would be speculation...

9. PapaJames

PapaJames New Member

Late 1800s... not 1880s.

i need help and anundverkaufen like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Assume this is the Branson painting.

Debora

60334196_2737722142911717_4898778030677164032_n.jpg

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies for the typo. Late 1800s. He would have been a college student or recent grad.

Debora

12. PapaJames

PapaJames New Member

From what I am told, this is in his museum in Branson, MO.
    This is the one we know about. This was in a blog from 8 years ago.
    When HBW gave up his art, he burned most of his paintings.
    hbw-prior1909.JPG

13. PapaJames

PapaJames New Member

First let me thank you for responding to the actual question...
    It was done through a professional at the time.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fascinating. How interesting to have both work and letters. I suppose you've read his autobiography then? Covering, per Kirkus Review, his "attempts at earning a living through sketching, writing, and preaching."

Debora

i need help, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. PapaJames

PapaJames New Member

Thank you for this information... I am very confident this was never reproduced in any way as it was a personal gift to the family and probably only left the wall it was hanging on to be repaired/varnished in early 90s or when the family moved.
    Our next step is finding a accurate valuation.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted